What's new

My RT-AC86U reset to factory settings by itself on a reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BJBBJB

Occasional Visitor
Greetings.

This happened to me a year or two ago and it just happened again. I have an RT-AC86U as my main router for a mesh system with 2 other Asus routers (Asus 1900's) with wired backhaul. Has worked great...
However this morning, internet was down, it still showed my custom SSID. I rebooted and I saw the default ASUS 2.4 and 5 SSID's and I immediately knew what happened. I was able to quickly get the basics up and running.

However, with it now doing it the second time is this a sign that it is having a hardware issue or something? Is this a "known issue"?
Fortunately I was around and able to get things up and running quickly.....but that is not always the case.

And thinking ahead.....if I get something like the GT-AXE16000 to replace it, what is an appropriate mesh node router to buy so I can extend the wifi6E to the mesh at a reasonable price?

The thought of starting from scratch is not appetizing but it may be time. I can't have this happening....

Thanks in advance for the help.

BJBBJB

Not common, but reported here and there with different model routers.

Don’t invest in Wi-Fi 6E. It was not very popular intermediate step technology to Wi-Fi 7. If you really need 6GHz go for Wi-Fi 7.
Thank you. When I was helping someone look at Asus routers a few months ago, all the Wi-fi 7 ones seemed to have issues. The mesh ones with how the channels were utilized, etc. etc. Perhaps that has changed. If I have to buy new one will have to revisit.

GT-AXE16000 has support issues. It was released 2 years ago, but still doesn’t have Asuswrt 5.0 aka Pro firmware. Some much cheaper models got 4-5 Pro firmware releases already, the most expensive one - nada. Still want one?

Eventually matching expensive ZenWiFi Pro ET12 nodes stuck on Asuswrt 4.0 as well…

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!