What's new

N66U/AC68U for public IP subnet routing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Deepcuts

Regular Contributor
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone is using N66U or AC68 to route a public subnet with NAT disabled and if they did, does it handle gigabit routing speeds?

I am asking because my ISP keeps changing the IPs allocated and I would like to purchase a small subnet, but in the same time I do not want to sell my house to get a decent Cisco router. I still have these two laying around.

I would like to have N66U or AC68U routing the subnet and behind it to have several machines with direct connected public IPs.

So, anyone tried it?

If NAT is disabled, why do you need a router then?

Wouldn't a switch work just as well?

At the moment, the ISP provides 8 public IPs, which are routed by the ISP directly.
Meaning the machines in the network are directly connected to a switch and the switch directly connected to the fiber optic converter.
If I purchase a subnet, I have to route it through a router of my own. The ISP will route only one IP from the subnet.

So:

FO Converter-->Switch-->Router(AC68U)-->Switch-->Subnet
The first switch has to remain there.

That is why I need the router.

Last edited:
In that case, it seems like you will need 8 consumer routers or start looking at the enterprise offerings.

sinshiva, a programmer to the rescue! :)

sinshiva, thank you very much for the info.
I have already purchased a MikroTik, but during the weekend, when I plan to install it, will also play with Asus and see how it goes.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!