What's new

N66u as main and AC68u as repeater?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GoNz0

Very Senior Member
any reason not to do as the title, I have a N66u in my office as the main router & the AC68 on it's way. the AC68 is destined for the front room (hardwired) where my laptop and phone spend most of there time, both have AC cards in.
The 66u also runs the dns server mod by entware hence wanting to leave it where it is.

You always want the most powerful router as your main router.

in an ideal world I would, but I also need the AC near the laptop and phone meaning it has to be the AP :(

I will upgrade the 66u at some stage to make it the better main router.

You always want the most powerful router as your main router.

Not necessarily, at least not in his case. Its not like he'll be providing wifi service at a Coffee shop.

Just add AC68 to DMZ and this will take some load off the N66 router. Then AC68 router will do all the needed firewall work on its end.

Last edited:
Just added my 2 cents. LOL! Using your N66U as your main router and piggy backing your AC68U is like using a G router and piggy backing your N router off of it. Makes no sense. Just my opinion. Good luck what ever you decide.

I would love to see your reasons why.
It may be less than ideal but where does the G come into it ?

I need the AC in the front room so the 68 is there.

Not necessarily, at least not in his case. Its not like he'll be providing wifi service at a Coffee shop.

Just add AC68 to DMZ and this will take some load off the N66 router. Then AC68 router will do all the needed firewall work on its end.

the 68 is in AP mode, all it is doing is providing routing for my AV kit and AC connected devices :)

Just added my 2 cents. LOL! Using your N66U as your main router and piggy backing your AC68U is like using a G router and piggy backing your N router off of it. Makes no sense. Just my opinion. Good luck what ever you decide.

LOL?

Weakest argument i have yet to observe. There is lack of cons and pros, no pie charts... there is just no .. whats the word im looking for?... substance.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!