What's new

N66U inaccessible after some amount of time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fitek

New Around Here
I have an RT-N66U Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.376_1071 at my house. I am only at my house one week every month and the router has been inaccessible twice in the last month; everything was wonderful for 3 months before that. I have to arrange to have someone go by and reboot the router so I can access my stuff again -- PITA.

I can't attach the syslog, or paste it below as I get a message that I'm blocked for security reasons. Looks like the router was searching for a WAN ip address on Dec 31st and Jan 6. There are NO log entries for Jan 1-5. The log is out of order, ie, Jan 6 entries are first, then Dec 31st, then Jan 7.

Basically, it's just the following over and over again:
miniupnpd[391]: ioctl(s, SIOCGIFADDR, ...): Cannot assign requested address
miniupnpd[391]: Failed to get ip address for interface eth0

Here is what I observed:
9/5/14 - router setup on Charter, VPN+remote admin+home automation work great
12/15/14 - VPN and remote admin inaccessible; home automation inaccessible and no pings coming out from the HA controller
12/16/14 - Charter confirms modem responding to pings
12/17/14 - neighbor rebooted router, all services restored
circa 12/30/14 - VPN and remote admin inaccessible again; home automation inaccessible
1/7/2014 - neighbor rebooted router again; remote admin and HA accessible, VPN not working

My quick fix option is to use a mechanical lamp timer to reboot the router daily. It sucks, but would probably work.

EDIT:

also found this in the syslog
Dec 31 16:00:09 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.

EDIT #2:

After doing more reading, I've set DHCP query frequency to normal. VPN is still down, but I'm too afraid to reboot the router.

Last edited:
Maybe time to update to a more current version?

How safe is it to do that remotely? FYI, the UI says the firmware IS the latest.

VPN came back up finally-- not sure what the delay was.

Last edited:
[Important] Please press the reset button more than five seconds to reset the router after firmware updated

I suppose I'll update when I am physically present.