What's new

NAS + HTPC all in one > can it be done ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Corbu

New Around Here
Hello everyone!

I planned to buy a 2 drive NAS for a while now and finally settled on a Synology DS 209. But I got a chance to play with Windows Home Server and since the NAS box will be behind the TV I thought maybe I can have a NAS + Media Player all in one machine.

1. The main idea is to have centralised storage that can be accessed inside a LAN or over the internet. I don’t need special features except a Torrent downloader + RAR archives extractor (these are a must).
2. I want some kind of file duplication, RAID 1 is OK but not ideal because it makes no sense to duplicate everything (only selected files like family pictures/movies, projects, etc). I simply love the Drive Extender concept in WHS and the way you can duplicate whatever is important to you and know that in case of a drive failure it is duplicated on another disc. And one more plus for WHS is the ability to add drives in the future; with a dedicated 2 drive NAS you are limited.
3. Now for the media center part > I am willing to configure the NAS in such a way that it will have enough power to play 1080p files (Blu Ray discs, MKV, etc), but honestly I don’t know what possibilities I have for combining the NAS and Media Player part. Theoretically WHS would be a good idea, but I don’t think WHS allows codec installation and direct Media Playback to a monitor / TV. Except Windows world, my Linux experience and knowledge is almost 0.

Right now I am using a laptop for media playback but I tired of walking around with it, plug it in, plug it out, a machine that’s ON and connected all the time is needed. I know about networked media players (WD TV Live, Asus O!Play, PopCorn Hour, etc), but they all have issues and quirks with different formats and they are far more perfect. A PC is more versatile and with the right codecs and configuration everything works.

So is it what I want possible or I’m asking too much? :D

Well, judging by the amount of replies I think it’s safe to say no, it cannot be done (yet). :(

I think you've answered your own question. The most flexible media player is a PC with the appropriate audio and video outputs. It can also be used for file sharing and for backup.

The only thing that I'm missing with a dedicated PC is some kind of automated real time file/folder duplication on different discs (more or less lime WHS drive extender). RAID 1 is a waste of drives for what I need. So do you have any tips for software that does that? I know there are a lot of backup apps out there, but honestly I have no idea which one to choose.

Last edited: