What's new

NAS Problem with Wireless N Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PaulB

New Around Here
I have a D-Link DNS-321 NAS connected to a D-Link DAP-1522 which is configured as a bridge, connecting via 11n to another DAP-1552 which is configured as an access point. The DAP-1522 access point is connected to an 11g router for internet access.

This setup has worked well for me, giving both my desktop (attached to the same switch as the NAS on the 1522 acting as a bridge) and laptop (connecting wirelessly through the 11g router) access to the NAS and the internet.

As an experiment to see how large media files would transfer to the desktop via wireless N as opposed to through the hardwired switch, I moved the NAS to the DAP-1522 configured as an access point.

Now, my desktop can "see" the NAS on the network, but it cannot access either the NAS setup web page or any of its shared directories. I can ping the NAS from the desktop, and can connect to it via SSH. This is true whether I boot the desktop to Windows 7 or Linux. My internet connectivity from the desktop still works.

Nothing has changed for the laptop, it is still able to see and access the NAS and internet as before.

Everything but the laptop has a static IP address. I was expecting that connecting the NAS to the switch on the access point would be the same as connecting it to the switch on the bridge, but that does not appear to be the case.

Any suggestions on what is happening?

If you move the NAS to your main switch instead of the DAP-1522 switch, can you connect?

Check the IP address settings on the NAS and make sure that the gateway, DNS and subnet settings match those in your desktop.

It turns out that jumbo frames were the problem.

I had both my NAS and my desktop's NIC configured with 4000 byte jumbo frames. This worked fine when both were plugged into the switch on the DAP-1522 acting as a bridge.

With the NAS (still with 4000 byte frames) connected to the switch on the DAP-1522 acting as an access point, and my desktop still plugged into the switch on the bridge, I have had to disable jumbo frames on the desktop NIC in order to get full access to the NAS.

I don't understand why this would make a difference, but everything is now working the way I had expected it to.

I don't know why either. But it seems that the wireless connection between the two DAP-1522's isn't properly handling the jumbo frames.