What's new

NAS via VPN the right way to go? And issues...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jeerkahn

New Around Here
I have been trying to find a solid solution to access my NAS via the internet. Some details about equipment used:
Cable modem
WRT610n router with VPN enabled and dyndns active
Qnap 209pro NAS
Work computer is XP Pro with t1 connection

I am basically trying toaccess photos, music and other files remotely. The NAS has some limited functionality but it is not sufficient for what I want to do. I would like to stream music, access files I need for business and possibly (if upload speeds permit) stream video using WMP.

What I would really like to do is have the NAS act like a mapped drive over the internet much like it does in my LAN, but can't seem to figure out how to do so. I think a VPN willget me access to the files in a way that will allow me to do what I'm looking for but not sure.

I tried setting up a VPN in windows XP with the dyndns address and port forwarded to the NAS but when I try to connect XP is trying to use a modem instead of my internet connection to access the VPN. I have gone to internet connections to ensure "never dial a connection" is selected but it is still asking for the modem.

Is there a setting I have missed or some other option to get the NAS to appear as it does in my LAN over the internet?

Thanks,

A VPN will work, but you need a VPN server on your LAN side. The WRT610N doesn't have a VPN server. The "VPN" enables in the router are just pass-throughs that ensure proper handling of the VPN packets through the router's firewall.

An easier way to go is to use the Web File Manager and Multimedia station via HTTPS. You just need to forward port 443 (HTTPS) to the QNAP's IP address (set it statically). Then just hit your router's WAN IP address or your dynamic DNS domain name.