What's new

Need a NAS for a first time buyer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nuke87654

Occasional Visitor
Hello, after getting my Asus ac 66r and modem, now I'm looking for a 2 bay storage device for as my first NAS device.

I have ordered 2 refurbished seagate nas storage devices as of this moment but now I'm currently searching for a NAS.

My needs currently are for storage purposes and computer backup, but enough features for me to get the hang with working a NAS under my own and for me to configure it with third party software (like Merlin's awesome firmwares, thank you very much).

Also, while I'm willing to spend at most $250, I of course would like to get under 200 dollars.

Thank you for your continuing helpful responses guys.

Be sure to shop newegg.com too. Excellent support.
Synology's model numbers are like nyy
where n is the number of drive bays and yy is the year of introduction. A "j" suffix means it has a slower CPU than non-j.
A DS212 is 2 bay, first shipped in 2012.
Something sold today that's 2+ years old is likely used or refurb.
Software version upgrades (major #) seem to go back about 4 years then end. Software minor updates (bug fixes) seem to go back 5-10 years.

Opinion: Choose either synology or qnap. Avoid the rest due to lousy software.
More opinion: I try to avoid Amazon for costly items because you don't know who the seller is, item condition may be faked, etc. Amazon is just an order processor (fulfillment). Hence, the suggestion to try to get a good price from Newegg.com or a match price from a retailer like Fry's.

Last edited:
Be sure to shop newegg.com too. Excellent support.
Synology's model numbers are like nyy
where n is the number of drive bays and yy is the year of introduction. A "j" suffix means it has a slower CPU than non-j.
A DS212 is 2 bay, first shipped in 2012.
Something sold today that's 2+ years old is likely used or refurb.
Software version upgrades (major #) seem to go back about 4 years then end. Software minor updates (bug fixes) seem to go back 5-10 years.

Opinion: Choose either synology or qnap. Avoid the rest due to lousy software.
More opinion: I try to avoid Amazon for costly items because you don't know who the seller is, item condition may be faked, etc. Amazon is just an order processor (fulfillment). Hence, the suggestion to try to get a good price from Newegg.com or a match price from a retailer like Fry's.

Alright, thanks for your suggestion to try out Newegg as I've found a 10% discount there and managed to snag the DS212P. As for my hard drives, they haven't arrived yet but now I'm thinking that I would rather send em back as the more I've checked on recertified hard drives, the more I'm concerned about them being hit or miss.

I'll try and search up for a Nas storage and maybe a regular hard drive for me instead on Newegg.

Thank you.