What's new

Need a solid non-enterprise AC AP for residential clients.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Trip

Very Senior Member
With $300 all-in-ones now floating around I'm wondering if enough users have switched to wired router+AP setups to help offer suggestions for a solid 1200 or 1750 AC access point for set-and-forget installs. My margin doesn't allow for time-wasting on betaware, so I suspect most consumer stuff is out, save perhaps something like an AC66/68U set as an AP? On the opposite end of things, I might be able to do Aironets/Arubas for a few clients, but otherwise I probably need to be at one-third the cost on my end. AC UniFi feedback appears mediocre overall... Anyone used the DAP-2695 or any smoke-detector style Linksys (Belkin) or EnGenius stuff? Thanks for any suggestions in advance. :)

Last edited:
With $300 all-in-ones now floating around I'm wondering if enough users have switched to wired router+AP setups to help offer suggestions for a solid 1200 or 1750 AC access point for set-and-forget installs. My margin doesn't allow for time-wasting on betaware, so I suspect most consumer stuff is out, save perhaps something like an AC66/68U set as an AP? On the opposite end of things, I might be able to do Aironets/Arubas for a few clients, but otherwise I probably need to be at one-third the cost on my end. AC UniFi feedback appears mediocre overall... Anyone used the DAP-2695 or any smoke-detector style Linksys (Belkin) or EnGenius stuff? Thanks for any suggestions in advance. :)
Your goals suggest you may not want to jump at 11ac now.
Overkill for most users, and arguably is bleeding edge.

Engenius - I have a good impression from using their bridges. They're owned by a very large semiconductor company.

solid and non-enterprise do not belong in the same sentence.
I suspected that to be the case.
Overkill for most users, and arguably is bleeding edge. [...] Engenius - I have a good impression from using their bridges. They're owned by a very large semiconductor company.
Overkill is several cases, quite probably. I'd just like to have an option if they should choose to go there. On EnGenius, the ECB350 has been stellar for me - perhaps the ECB1750 (coming in October) will be the ticket.

I'm currently using an AC66U as an AP. Been using it for a while, it used to be my primary router, but instead of adding it to my pile of old routers, I set it up in AP mode and have it connected to the LAN port through a powerline adapter.

Thx roldogg. Has it been pretty solid? I'm looking for something that wouldn't need a reboot more often than a couple times a year, max.

want no router reboots?
Buy one for the machine-to-machine market, not the rabbit-race consumer stuff.

Cradlepoint is one; Engenius is another.

Thx Steve. Yeah, I think I'll probably stick with EnGenius and wait until the ECB1750 comes out. Also going to keep my eye on the D-Link DAP-2695 as well, as I have some colleagues who will be deploying some in the near future.

I've been disappointed (burned) by D-Link outdoor pro grade WiFi stuff in the past, had had a few lemon consumer gear.
Caveat Emptor.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!