What's new

Need a Wireless-N NIC using Atheros chip (or other chip supported by MadWiFi)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RamGuy

Hi,

I need to find a Draft-N (v2?) Wireless NIC that uses a atheros chip, or some other chip that is supported by MadWiFi!

There are so little information to find on what chip the different NIC's are actually running, that's why I'm asking for help here :)

I'm looking for the best possible Wireless NIC supported by MadWiFi :)
Any advice?

What form factor (CardBus, USB) and single or dual band?

There are many choices, D-Link DWA-652 for one (2.4GHz, Cardbus).
I don't know whether MadWiFi has Draft 11n support, though.

MadWIFI is working on Draft-N support, but don't support it as of yet..
The card is going to be used within my "own build router" featuring either a "Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H" motherboard or a "Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L" board :)

So PCI / PCI-Express would be the easiest and best choice?
I don't really know if the bandwidth of wireless gains any benefits from the PCI-Express at all, if not it doesn't really matter if it's PCI or PCI-Express! :)

So I kinda want the best NIC I can get when it comes to stability and range.
Perhaps I should consider replacing the antennas on the card?

PCIe won't provide any bandwidth advantage for draft 11n, as PCI has more than enough bandwidth. But PCI is fading as a bus standard and PCIe is growing.

The mini-PCIe cards used in notebooks don't have antennas on-card; just mini connectors.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online