What's new

Need access control features

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

frankem

New Around Here
I see most of the router comparisons and reviews do not cover what I m looking for. I want access control. Specially I want the wired part to have as good control as the wireless (maybe I need a wired router then add wireless to it?). With a firewall that can be set to do what I want.

Need to control DNS servers, I want to use OpenDNS, but it's easy to get around by setting the DNS on the individual computer. Need to force everyone to use servers I set. I need NAT? Need to force all port 53 to OpenDNS's servers IPs. or at least block all port 53 traffic then allow only port 53 to access 2 or three IPs.

Need MAC access control on the wired part. For access control if you block a MAC a user can simple change to a new one. On wireless the MAC filter prevents this, so I need it on wired. Problem, if a user is blocked on wireless they just plug in to wired. Policy by physical port would help too.

Need to block specific ports in and out etc.

I'm considering DIR 855, WRT600N, WNDR 3700 or even ZyXel Zywall or Sonic walls. But it is hard to find the details, most everything is focused on speed etc. $400 is not to much to get what I want.

thanks Frank