What's new

need access point advice for a new hotel under construction

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gunthonungo

New Around Here
I am building a 62 unit hotel and was torn between using the Engenius EAP350's and Ubiquiti Unifi's.

Which would be the better option? I'm going to have cisco SG200 and SG300 poe switches running them. What other information do you guys need in order to give me the appropriate advice?

Thanks,

Mike

all that capital out for construction... should you ask a consumer forum like this one?
Are the APs to connect to some heavy-iron router?

Call sales engineer... Aruba or some such. Not some no-name hack. Cisco Aironet (Pro) will be happy to sell you something overpriced.

Last edited:
sure,,, people's experiences here are just as helpful as anywhere else.

I've gotten some really good deals on cisco switches... so I just gotta add on the access points... any help is appreciated.

Pay a pro, who's competent. Else you'll join the ranks of hotels with crappy WiFi designed by a hacker-kid and WiFi that angers customers. Not hard but too much to go through here on this forum, for a hotel.
It starts with: Who's your ISP and what's the speed, and next is to ensure you don't mix guest WiFi with the hotel's back-office IT.

If you plan to put switches out there for WiFi APs, then connect the switches to the back-office IT system for Internet Access - you'd darn well better have a pro do this for you; the switches are the trivial part of the design. The VLANs and security, and QoS are where the pro should help you do it correctly and rather hack-proof.

Last edited: