What's new

Need advice for a new router guys!!!!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wsarahan

Hi guys how are you?

I have a RT-AC5300 today and I'm not happy at all, the smart connect just do not work as it should, I get disconnected all the time in a very low range....

I was thinking about switch this router for a new one, I need one that supports vlan configuration like Asus do

Wich one do you guys recommend? I was thinking about or Nighthawk x10 or the new GT 5300 but they are expensive here in Brazil, is there a good one with a better price that will support AC and Vlan 10 configuration?

Edit: I was looking here in Brazil and the 88u and the netgear x8 are the same price, if is to get any of this one Wich one would be better?

Thanks

Last edited:
Smart connect will never work properly regardless of which router model you have, as it depends on clients being able to properly deal with it. I don't recommend using it, use different SSIDs instead and connect your clients to the band you want them to use.

Smart connect will never work properly regardless of which router model you have, as it depends on clients being able to properly deal with it. I don't recommend using it, use different SSIDs instead and connect your clients to the band you want them to use.

Thanks Merlin, as i live in Brazil i don`t have acess to Asus routers, a friend of mine will bring a GT-AC5300 for me from USA, he will arrive here in 2 weeks, the smart connect is the same as at the RT-AC5300? And will i see a huge gain from my actual RT-AC5300 to the new GT one?

the smart connect is the same as at the RT-AC5300

It's a newer Broadcom platform, so the backend code might be different. No idea if it performs better, worse, or the same.

And will i see a huge gain from my actual RT-AC5300 to the new GT one?

For Wifi, next to no difference. They use the same radio chip (although a newer revision for the GT-AC5300, BCM4366E versus BCM4366). For VPN and disk sharing, difference will be quite significant.

Check out this site's router ranker to compare them, both have been reviewed by @thiggins.

It's a newer Broadcom platform, so the backend code might be different. No idea if it performs better, worse, or the same.

For Wifi, next to no difference. They use the same radio chip (although a newer revision for the GT-AC5300, BCM4366E versus BCM4366). For VPN and disk sharing, difference will be quite significant.

Check out this site's router ranker to compare them, both have been reviewed by @thiggins.

Thanks Merlin as always

Any idea if will custom fw for the Gt in a near future?

Thanks Merlin as always

Any idea if will custom fw for the Gt in a near future?

No idea about other projects like DD-WRT, but in my case, I have no plans to support the GT-AC5300.

No idea about other projects like DD-WRT, but in my case, I have no plans to support the GT-AC5300.

Once a couple of years ago I bricked a router from linksys using dd-wrt, promised never more touch in this fw's!!!! I love your fw's will try the new GT with Asus stock ones if I miss your fw a lot I'll sell it and keep with the Rt one

Since you've already established that Smart Connect doesn't work very well, why not go with the RT-AC86U instead? Performance should be almost identical to the GT-AC5300.

Since you've already established that Smart Connect doesn't work very well, why not go with the RT-AC86U instead? Performance should be almost identical to the GT-AC5300.

Yep, but i decided to amde a test

Satrting researching here at forum all the users modded smart conccetion rules, and i tought 1 or 2 that completeply solved my problems, i don`t know what they did but the changes they did at the rules made my network work ok again, i just don`t het why asus do not test a lot of rules options and putv that options to users select wich one will work better