What's new

Need advice on which mesh router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mm2531

Occasional Visitor
I just moved into a new home, and my router (Netgear AC1900 R7000) isn't cutting it. Issue is mainly with the layout of the house. It's two levels, with roughly 2000 sq ft on each level. The router is in a network closet towards the front of the house, and the signal is weak in the master bedroom downstairs which is towards the back right corner. Not sure how the signal is upstairs, as we rarely use that area.

We have Spectrum internet with 100/10. Usage is mainly internet, Netflix, Hulu, etc with perhaps 20 devices connected. Too old for gaming.

Thinking about buying a mesh system, and looking for advice. There are no ethernet ports anywhere so cannot do wired backhaul. Do I need a three part system, with one in the network closet, one closer to the MBR, and one upstairs? Or, buy just two pieces and use the current router as a wireless repeater for the upstairs?

Preference is to go with the one that will provide the best signal and don't mind paying for the best solution to blanket at least the downstairs with a strong wifi signal. Any advice on which one, and whether to reuse the R7000 will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Just add a Access point to the router or the new netgear ext8000 would work as well with your R7000.
But if you want to by a new mesh router the you have Netgear Orbi systems.