What's new

Need another Router for my network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jebise

Occasional Visitor
I have a Netgear WNDR3700 running DDWRT and it meets my networking needs expect for wireless due to its location. I currently have a cheap dlink DIR-636L as an AP on the second floor which provides nice coverage in the house but lacks a few features. The WAN port on the dlink is not used and DHCP is disabled that way all wireless devices get there IP from the Netgear router.

I would like to upgrade the AP or purchase a good solid wired router that supports DDWRT and use the 3700 as an AP. I need help deciding which one to get.

Replacing the cheap DIR-636L AP:
Must support bridged mode (not wifi bridge) example Linksys EA2700 or if it supports DDWRT.
Support for Guest mode if WAN port not used (dlink only works in guest mode if I use the WAN port)
Dual Band wifi

Replacing Main Netgear router:
Gigabit LAN ports
Must support DDWRT (I run custom scripts)
Above 100MB/s throughput

I was thinking of purchasing a refurb EA2700 and using that as my AP and if the wifi is not that great then install DDWRT and use the netgear as the AP. I would like to keep the purchase close to $50 as I have invested allot more in my home network than i would have liked as is. I think the Linksys/Cisco EA2700 is the best bang for the buck unless anyone else has suggestions?

What about the Asus RT-53U/56U? I know they don't support DDWRT but do they meet my requirements for an AP?

Last edited:
I have a Netgear WNDR3700 running DDWRT and it meets my networking needs expect for wireless due to its location. I currently have a cheap dlink DIR-636L as an AP on the second floor which provides nice coverage in the house but lacks a few features. The WAN port on the dlink is not used and DHCP is disabled that way all wireless devices get there IP from the Netgear router.

I would like to upgrade the AP or purchase a good solid wired router that supports DDWRT and use the 3700 as an AP. I need help deciding which one to get.

Replacing the cheap DIR-636L AP:
Must support bridged mode (not wifi bridge) example Linksys EA2700 or if it supports DDWRT.
Support for Guest mode if WAN port not used (dlink only works in guest mode if I use the WAN port)
Dual Band wifi

Replacing Main Netgear router:
Gigabit LAN ports
Must support DDWRT (I run custom scripts)
Above 100MB/s throughput

I was thinking of purchasing a refurb EA2700 and using that as my AP and if the wifi is not that great then install DDWRT and use the netgear as the AP. I would like to keep the purchase close to $50 as I have invested allot more in my home network than i would have liked as is. I think the Linksys/Cisco EA2700 is the best bang for the buck unless anyone else has suggestions?

What about the Asus RT-53U/56U? I know they don't support DDWRT but do they meet my requirements for an AP?

Hello Jebise. I have had a chance to test out the ea2700 over the last few days as I discovered my favourite canadian computer store was selling them for less than a case of beer. I installed it in the basement of a 2 story 4 bedroom home and then went upstairs to the most distant bedroom to test. I really could not ascertain any difference in wifi speed between it and an Asus rt-n66 in either band. The variables for both routers was the direction you point them in or the plane you hang them in.

The interface on the ea2700 is simple and straightforward. The tech support which i called with a question were able to answer quickly.

The interface on the Asus looks cool but once you start to use it you realize that it requires a GUI engineer to spend a few weeks trying to refine it and a grammar person to correct all the help screens so they might be understandable. Also I tried their preferred chat tech support with a question about the lack of MTU settings... what a waste of time... first chat person only sent irrelevant off topic junk back and then accussed me of not being fast enough to respond to him ... (I waited for 30 minutes for him) and then he dropped the chat. Second person tried a little harder but could not find any info. So if you need tech support my conclusion is dont buy an asus.

As a router there was only two cons that I could come up with for the ea2700 and that is (1) if you try to use the Media Prioritization feature (qos like) only 3 devices can be put in that category. after testing my conclusion was just leave that feature OFF for best all around results. (2) The smart wifi log on gui is a pain the rear. They should have a disable button for it. However the easiest way to win that game is just to reboot your PC before you try to log into the thing the first time. ( oh and make sure there is no cable in the wan port on that first attempt)

I then changed the second ea2700 I bought into a switch. Shut off dhcp, unclick all the firewall and nat settings, increment the iP address by one on the last digit and then move the cable from the wan to the lan port. reboot and presto... great switch with wifi or without (you can shut it off if you want)

So for the value...can get 5 ea27000s for the equivalent of 1 n66u... choice is clear. go with the ea2700.

Hope I helped

I ended getting the TP Link WDR3600 and installed DDWRT. I tried the EA2700 but I didn't like it that much. I disliked the smart wifi firmware, I disliked you needed an account to sign in and when you put it into AP mode half the features are gone. I also never liked the way they implemented the guest network and it never actually worked with my setup because I wasn't using WAN port. The LAN ports on the router where slow, max lan to lan was 60MB/s the WDR3600 gives me 112MB/s and I believe it maybe higher and it's limited by my main router.

I paid a little more than the linksys but it's a much better router and the range is very good. I decided to skip on the Asus routers until AC becomes the norm and is much more cost effective.