What's new

Need fast wireless bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kamina

Regular Contributor
I got a new htpc next to my tv and there are no network sockets nearby. The wireless is very slow under Linux and there is no way to neatly pull a cable without an electrician (and that seems like too much hassle).

My current network consists of a 100/10 (100/60 according to online tests but thats probably a bug) fiber connection converted to ethernet for the apartment. I have a late 2007(?) Airport extreme as a router and accesspoint, cat 5e cables with sockets in all rooms and a hp procurve gigabit switch for one busy spot. I have an old airport express used for streaming music and .g clients. I only use the .n network rarely if I bring my laptop home.

I would like to be able to quickly transfer movies to the htpc when needed and the current set up does not cut it.

Testing the airport extreme with my laptop and default settings I can transfer at about 10MB/s, I would love more performance for the bridge if possible. I'm prepared to get rid of the extreme if it makes a big difference. The distance of the bridge will be about 5-8 meters with a bit of furniture between.

- what kind of performance could I expect by just getting another accesspoint and dedicating them for the bridge?
- could I make a big difference by getting rid of the airport extreme and purchasing two of something else?

10 MB/s is pretty good for an 802.11n connection. If you want maximum transfer rates for large files, use Gigabit Ethernet.

Yeah, most of my apartment is wired, but this spot is not. I might ask for a quote from an electrician if I won't be getting higher then 10MB/s since it feels quite slow occasionally. (10MB/s was standing right next to the accesspoint)