What's new

Need good wireless router and ADSL modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

O

Ormu

I'm searching for a good wireless router and an ADSL modem (8/1M line) for my parents. They have used two devices, BeWAN/Pace a2100n and Zyxel P660HW-61, both of which have problems. Due to bad experience with these modem/router combos I'd rather buy two devices:

1) ADSL modem which will be put in bridged mode. The fewer features the better. Just one WAN port and one LAN if possible. Are those cheap modems (20 to 40 euros) any good? The problem is that all available devices are either very cheap, combo devices or very expensive.

2) Wireless router with following features:
-Long wireless network range!
-Support for 802.11n
-At least one USB port for printer sharing, preferably two
-Reliable in operation, no overheating, no need for frequent rebooting etc.
-Good firmware without lots of bugs!
-Good configuration utility
-Configurable firewall

I have Asus RT-N66U but it's a bit overkill for my parents.

Total price max 200 euros (270USD), preferably less.

Blacklist: No BeWan/Pace, Telewell, Cisco/Linksys, Buffalo, Apple, cheap Zyxels.

I don't know about the EU, but in the US, I prefer to use and I advise to not purchase the modem- make the ISP provide it and be 100% responsible for it and the network behind it. No finger pointing about subscriber-owned modem. Prudent, I say, even if it's a small monthly cost.

As to the router, I'd recommend a USD$75 or so 11g/n router, placed at the right location. You can look at the reviews here, and the opinions on newegg.com. There are few badly designed/firmware'd products from Belkin (Broadcom design, usually), now Linksys is owned by Belkin but probably unchanged since the acquisition - good track record. Opinion: Inconsistent history with Netgear and more so D-Link. /opinion

very good idea to keep the modem and WiFi router in separate boxes.

Thanks for answers. Both of the current routers were provided by the ISP and generally ISPs here tend to provide the cheapest devices, sometimes with crippled firmware. That's why I'm going to buy them myself.

I found Tp-Link TD-8616 DSL modem which doesn't contain too many extra features. It's very inexpensive (21 euros) but I have some good experience on TP-Link products - 100M 4-port switch and 1G PCI network card, and both of them have worked without much trouble. I also found some positive reviews about it.

I'll look at router reviews next...

Thanks for answers. Both of the current routers were provided by the ISP and generally ISPs here tend to provide the cheapest devices, sometimes with crippled firmware. That's why I'm going to buy them myself.

I found Tp-Link TD-8616 DSL modem which doesn't contain too many extra features. It's very inexpensive (21 euros) but I have some good experience on TP-Link products - 100M 4-port switch and 1G PCI network card, and both of them have worked without much trouble. I also found some positive reviews about it.

I'll look at router reviews next...

My suggestion was to get a MODEM from the ISP and use your own router.