What's new

Need help choosing ap/router/bridge.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BoW

New Around Here
My current setup is something like this:

DSL modem -> linux box (vmware + storage) -> Gb switch -> AP (WAP54G)/another switch/clients (media center/stb/etc...)

My problem is that I have to move some of the hardware so I will not be able to have a wired connection between the switches. This means it will no longer be possible to stream my HD video/other media from the linux box to my media center, which is really annoying. My initial thought is to get two dualband N-routers that can be bridged together (if that is even possible). Right now the two best looking contenders are Linksys E4200 and Netgear WNDR37AV. I assume both are possible to "make into" sitch+ap by disabling dhcp and only using LAN ports, but the key question is; is it possible to bridge them, or am I better off getting an AP+bridge solution?

All suggestions/questions are most welcome.

Connect the two switches via Ethernet if at all possible. Next best for throughput and reliability would be MoCA or HomePlug AV powerline. Use wireless as a last resort.

The E4200 does not support WDS bridging.