What's new

Need help finding a router for wired gigabit

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

saddl3r

New Around Here
Hiya!

I'm looking into buying a new router that can handle wired gigabit internet. Wifi is needed, but as long as it's there I don't care at all about the performance.

Wired gigabit (and stability) is most important, after that comes price, and last wireless performance.

What would you recommend? :)

I would recommend defining your budget and feature requirements, then spending a bit of time poking through the other 20 threads that have been talking about this for the past several months.

Based on the limited requirements you posted with stability as more important, build a pfSense box and buy a dedicated AP for WiFi. Done.

There are a LOT of routers that can do what you are asking. I think you may need to have to provide a lot more specifics. I myself am looking for upgrades and I've done extensive research into each router. It's quite a tough decision. However, you are going to get various recommendations from everyone here. Do a little bit of research. I can provide you with a few that pretty much do what you are asking.

Asus:
RT-AC68U
RT-AC1900P
RT-AC86U
RT-AC88U
etc.. etc..

Netgear:
R7000
R7000P
R7800

There is also D-Link, Linksys, etc...

Budget:
RT-AC1900P
R7000P

Both the Asus RT-86U and Netgear R7800 are decently ranked. Take a look at (https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/router/view). I suggest reading some of the reviews on the several routers. They are very well written!

Last edited:
A Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite/X or something similar from Mikrotik would be a good choice for the wired router part. Then just add whatever access point you want.