What's new

Need help with building mesh system

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fknz

New Around Here
AAvfh9Y.png

Hi. I got 1Gbps fiber and I'm trying to build home network from scratch because I currently have ASUS TUF-AX5400 as the main router connecting via PPPoE and an TP-Link Archer C6 v2 (abandoned by TP-Link) as AP on second floor and with that 4 different wifi networks and I want to do a single mesh 5ghz network at home with good coverage + two separate 2.4ghz SSIDs for my Roborock vacuum cleaners on both floors.

Concept posted above with already owned ASUS router in mind if it didnt load for somebody:
Code:
https://imgur.com/a/JjpADdA
And heres my previous little concept with TP-Link:

At first I wanted to buy four TP-Link Archer AX53 routers (the second revision because it supports ethernet backhaul since then), but the more I read about it I don't think it will work as planned.

I don't know if it will simultaneously work with ethernet backhaul between the two units and the third one via wifi backhaul + from what I read the one on second floor would have to be hooked up as a router and not an Access Point because EasyMesh won't work on AP mode. Well but if I hook it up as a second router I guess it will collide with the first unit on first floor and it will cause "double NAT" or something like that?
ASUS on the other hand is supossed to work within its AiMesh while on AP mode.

I looked at TP-Link Deco X50 4pcs as well - in theory this thing could probably meet almost all my requirements but im not sure. I don't know if one of these dummies is capable of serving as the main router or if I still need to have some kind of additional modem beforehand. My next gripe with it is that each piece has only 3 ports so if one is used for ethernet backhaul then I am left with only two ports and on second floor I want to connect 3 devices via ethernet.

TP-Link could not have messed up more with these Mesh systems.... OneMesh, EasyMesh, Deco and Omada. And together they of course don't want to cooperate as one mesh environment + TP-Link loves to make a lot of revisions of one model and abandon completely the older one as it happened with mine.

Maybe i shouldnt get rid of my ASUS TUF AX5400 and build network with AiMesh from ASUS in mind? ASUS would give me use for my existing router + a lot more customization than TP-Link but from I read here and there ASUS handles roaming within Mesh worse than other brands.

My knowledge on networking is limited and I'm completely lost at this point.

Im from Europe (Poland) and TP-Link dominates the market here, any ASUS is easy to get too but maybe I should buy some other kit from another company? Something that would be available from any EU Amazon if i need to buy outside my country.

The budget is not rigid but I would prefer to stay below 500€ for everything

Thats a lot of read so thank you in advance for your help and I'm more than willing to paypal some beer money to the person who gets me through this mess.

1. Asus router #1 as router
2. Asus router #2 as wired node
3. ASUS TUF AX5400 as wired node

It's best if you don't mix different model numbers, but you can use your current TUF-AX5400 as a node until it dies.

No clue about your local pricing. You can look into Zenwifi series that come in two-pack and three-packs e.g.

Your only requirement is 3 free ports, so just make sure the models you pick have that.

Recommendations - a) 2x AX88U Pro with 2 years of support left b) splurging on 2x BE86u, BE88u, or BE58U with 4 years of support

Other model recommendations:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!