What's new

Need help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jimbooo

New Around Here
Hello,
I want to build citywide wifi Internet system.The problem is I don't know what kind of outdoor wifi antennas should I use.Can someone explane how city wild wifi system should be built?

you can't be serious!

I've done designs for this (consulting). For crazy people.

Step one is the business model. Step two is easements. Step three is capital. Step four is return to step 1. Just ask Earthlink.

Now if you want to cover an RV park or some such, that's a viable story. But never as sensible as $13/mo DSL.

Last edited:
Can you be more specific about the right antennas?I can't find the right ones for building a citywide wifi network.

Can you be more specific about the right antennas?I can't find the right ones for building a citywide wifi network.

There is much more to think about than just what type of antenna you want to use. If you are trying to cover a city you need to think about things like back haul, wireless controllers etc.

Where I used to live there was a plan to try and cover the town with a mesh network using a bunch of these:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6548/index.html

Never really got far beyond the initial testing stage.

Hello,
I want to build citywide wifi Internet system.The problem is I don't know what kind of outdoor wifi antennas should I use.Can someone explane how city wild wifi system should be built?

Believe it or not, it's fairly easy to build a public wifi system, given enough money and a sound business plan.

The technical challenge is how to:

1) punch thru walls to get to your end users - they live in houses
2) the spectrum you're using for WiFi - it's a noisy space
3) site location - most expensive part

Citywide Wifi - check out Roofnet and more importantly, probably the best resource for this topic

https://personaltelco.net/wiki

best of luck. Remember, you're fighting against the big telco's and they have the financial resources, and their technology is better suited for Wide Area Networking.