What's new

Need helping setting up second router as guest Wifi AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

derrickrozay

Occasional Visitor
Hello so let me explain what I'd like to do

I have an asus RT-ACC66U running 2.4ghz on channel 10 and 5ghz on 138 and I have an old WRT-150N running DD-WRT that I would like to set up as a guest wifi AP with the bandwidth speed capped at like 10Mbs. I would just set up the ac66u with a guest network but again I want to cap the speed

I'm a little confused as to how I should set it up. I have ethernet ports throughout my house so should I hook it up directly to the AC66U or should I buy a switch and hook them both up to the switch? Also how should I configure the settings for the 150?

Got it setup.

One question if I want to decrease the wifi range should I do it by decreasing the TX power? It's currently at 71. I only need the wifi in two rooms it doesnt need to be broadcasting throughout the whole house how do I do this? Any cons to this? My main router covers the whole house already

If you really need to confine it to such a small area, you probably will be out of luck.

Yes, reducing Tx power would achieve some of the goal, though its unlikely you'd be able to reduce it enough to just confine it to those two rooms since you aren't using 5GHz.

Any reason you don't want it extending past those two rooms? co-channel issue with your main network or something?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!