What's new

need new router with usb device compatibility

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Veeps

New Around Here
My old linksys wireless router keeps resetting iself so it's time to buy a new one. I figure i might as well setup a network to allow data storage and printing from multiple devices. I need to attach the following to my home network. It would also be great to be able to access the hard drive remotely via the internet.

wirless devices:
3 laptops
iphone 3g
iphone 4g
itouch
blu ray player

wired devices:
wired xbox
usb western digital external hard drive
usb hp printer

I also want room to expand if possible with items such as security cameras.

What router do you recomend and what else do i need to buy? I don't want to spend too much but I want reliablity and a stable network. I also want decent speed for the hard drive.
Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't want to spend too much but I want reliablity and a stable network. I also want decent speed for the hard drive.

reliability, speed, price.

Pick 2.

That said, usb drives attached to routers are pretty much a gimmick. It may be useful for sharing small amounts of small files, however if you plan to attempt to use it as a media/storage server for your whole network, you will most likely be disappointed.

reliability, speed, price.

Pick 2.

That said, usb drives attached to routers are pretty much a gimmick. It may be useful for sharing small amounts of small files, however if you plan to attempt to use it as a media/storage server for your whole network, you will most likely be disappointed.

So what's the best way to have network storage? What about a usb printer attached to a router?

A NAS.

I would expect a printer to be equally slow on a router as well but I've never used one for that.

Routers typically use low power system/on/a/chip. They aren't designed for lots of IO such as for usb drives/printers.

A good x86 based nas can handle file serving and printer sharing.

But I would look for one that explicitly supports the printer you have/plan to use. Also keep in mind that some printers use propritery drivers, which won't be available on anything but a windows PC (or mac if your lucky).