What's new

Need new Wireless router Which One? I am confused.Please Help.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JOE.G

Regular Contributor
I need some help on getting a wireless router.

I have about 3 Laptops 2 running XP and one running Win 7.

I also have a PS3 and a Wireless Panny BD 85 blu ray player.

Id ROuter from Service provider is in basement I have the main floor and also the second floor which currentl have great signal strengh with this set up. The problem is the provider has the router locked down and wont open any ports so my wireless blu ray player wont work right.

Please suggest a router for Internet surfing game playing ans movie streaming thanks a lot

PS How about either of these?

Linksys E2000 Advanced Wireless-N Router

Netgear Rangemax Dual Band Wireless N Gigabit Router

ASUS RT-N56U R

?Huh? You control the LAN. Methinks there's confusion here.
Are you trying to stream video out to the internet?

TWC controls everything myself or the SMC the router company can change any settings, PANNY says I need ports 80, 443 and 48705 open. We used a website to check and it says there closed. I was able to update firm ware and the unit says its connected but I cant do anything else I try to get to netflix and it says cant connect.

OK, I have a BLU RAY Player Panny BD 85. I was able to update FIrmware and the unit says it is connected but I can not access the NET FLIX/VIERRA CAST area it says cant connect. Panny said I need Ports 80 443 and 48705 open. I Called SMC and they said Time Warner Cable has the router locked and they cant change anything. I called TWC and they said they wont make any changes.

SO I am asking about what router I Should get I use three laptops, a PS3, A WII and the Blu Ray though wireless. Right Now I have great service though out my house and the router is in Basement and Ps3 is two floors up. I want a strong signal fast router that holds up and is easy to use.

I am looking at

Linksys E2000 Advanced Wireless-N Router

Netgear Rangemax Dual Band Wireless N Gigabit Router

D Link 815 and
D Link 655

If Time Warner has the router locked, do you know if any other router you install instead of the SMC will work?

Getting a strong signal through two floors is a stretch. You may have to try a few routers to find one that works for you. Do you need dual-band?

Look at the Wireless Charts at the performance in locations D, E and F to see which routers have the best chance of reaching through your floors.

TWC said another route will work, They Suggested it.

Right now mine works great perfect signal though out the house.

ANy Suggestions on strong performers?

Not sure what else to say, My unit shows that its connected but cant get to teh viera cast screen to watch net flix, Panasonic says that I need ports open and TWC says they wont open them. I have read On the net that other people had this problem and a new router solved teh problem.

jargon confusion:
"PANNY says I need ports 80, 443 and 48705 open."

does this mean your router needs to forward those ports to the PANNY (I don't know what a PANNY is)

The tier 3 tech support said they do and will not allow anyone to make any changes inculding themselves.

The tier 3 tech support said they do and will not allow anyone to make any changes inculding themselves.

So, from my understanding, this is your situation:

You use an SMC router provided by your ISP (TWC) which would not allow customers access to its configuration page, and their techs can't add the port forwarding rules for you either. So, even though TWC does not block any port, you can't get Netflix working because you need the router to forward those ports (or enable uPnP for that matter) to your Panasonic (Panny) BD player.

Your question was which router you should get to replace the SMC router, which incidentally works quite well in the wireless department, in order to be able to configure port forwarding (or uPnP) to get Netflix working.

Well, the answer seems quite simple.... Just get the exact same SMC router from a retail or online store. You'll be able to configure it all you want, and it'll have the exact same wireless performance as you have now.

Can't you get TWC to provide a cable modem to which you connect your own router?

Or is that uncommon in your TWC area?
Everyone in my region uses only their DOCSIS cable modem, not their routers.

I've had a TWC cable modem (actually many different/newer ones, no new cost), and they're all layer 2 bridges, not routers.
Thus, they are port-unaware.

Yes TWC does offer just a Modem and u can use your own router, WHich is what I want to do, The reason I took there router was because it was free for a year and figured why not.

If I get a diffrent router that wont be a issue.

I am not sure if you can buy this router or if its a TWC item only and I am sure there must be better stuff out there.

What is the TWC provided product?
Is it a cable modem + WiFi router all-in-one?
I'd prefer to get a cable modem free and buy my own router so I can choose and upgrade now and then.

Looking back in this thread, we see
"Id ROuter from Service provider is in basement"
What is "Id router" ?

Elsewhere, we see mention of "SMC" as a product. Is the company named SMC? If so, they are not a high quality mainstream provider.

More over, opening ports as is said much earlier, is NOT REQUIRED for data traffic among devices all on your wired and WiFi LAN. Port opening applies only to traffic exchanged with the Internet and your wired/wireless LAN.

SMC is the brand of Router which is in my basement, but it gives perfect signal though out the house. Panasonic and TWC and other articles that I have read on the net suggest the router to be the problem because TWC refuses to open the ports. I don’t know anything about this stuff. I came here to get some recommendations on routers, if you guys could help make this router work that’s a bonus.

Provide the exact model number of the SMC router.

Have you tried to open the ports on the router to see if the router is really locked? See http://portforward.com/ for detailed instructions.

More over, opening ports as is said much earlier, is NOT REQUIRED for data traffic among devices all on your wired and WiFi LAN. Port opening applies only to traffic exchanged with the Internet and your wired/wireless LAN.

ARE YOU simply moving data among computers and devices in YOUR OWN home network? I