What's new

Need recommendations on a bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

boomhower

New Around Here
I have moved and my wireless set-up is no longer cutting the mustard. My set-up is an E4200 router and I have been using a Netgear 5Ghz bridge connected to my media streamer. In my old place this speed was fine. I have moved and the distance has been extended to 70 feet and it's just not good enough, on my laptop I'm getting 800kb/s on the 5Ghz N and 2.7MB/s on the 2.4Ghz G. Move to 2.4Ghz N and it goes to 4.7MB/s N. At this distance my PS3 won't even stream Netflix, weak radio in that thing I guess Considering that this router does not have the ability to add external antennas it would a appear a 2.4Ghz bridge would be the way to go. I am not flashing dd-wrt. I don't need any added functionality to my router and unless it greatly improves range I don't want to risk bricking a $180 router.

From the looking I've been doing N bridges are ridiculously overpriced. So I am eying the Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N router since it has built in dd-wrt and a simple box tick will turn it into a bridge. Thoughts on it?

I am open to any and all suggestions but the price has to be under $100 and under $50 is even better. It must have at least two ports(WD streamers and PS3) with three even better.

Switching to 2.4 GHz will give you more range or throughput as you have found.

What bridges are you looking at? You can get a refurb'd WET610N direct from Cisco for $55 with 30 day return.

If you have coax in both locations, you can also try MoCA adapters. If not, try a pair of HomePlug AV powerline adapters.

Switching to 2.4 GHz will give you more range or throughput as you have found.

What bridges are you looking at? You can get a refurb'd WET610N direct from Cisco for $55 with 30 day return.

If you have coax in both locations, you can also try MoCA adapters. If not, try a pair of HomePlug AV powerline adapters.

That Linksys only has one port on it, I need at least two. I was looking at using that Buffalo router as a bridge. I have never messed powerline or MoCA(coax I'm guessing?).

You can always attach a switch to any bridge. There is the WES610N, but it's more expensive due to the switch and its newness.

You can always attach a switch to any bridge. There is the WES610N, but it's more expensive due to the switch and its newness.

I had come across that one and really wanted it, but I can't spend $130 on it. I love Linksys routers, I used a WRT54G, WRT610N, and now an E4200. But that product is just overpriced. I ordered the Buffalo N300 and it should do the job just fine once configured as a bridge. It should be here today, $4 next day shipping from Amazon is very very nice.