What's new

Need Router purchase recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shanks23

Occasional Visitor
Good evening dear forum members,
I need your advice on which router I should get.

I want to install a VPN router in my system and have looked at a few on flashrouter.

Security and transparency are important to me.
The kill switch is also very important to me.

Which Router would be right for my project?
flashrouters.com/asus-be98u-wifi7-flashrouter ( VPN Fusion )
flashrouters.com/asus-axe16000-merlin-flashrouter ( Merlin App )

Thank you and best regards :)

Don't get a router from this website. You'll be paying more for something included or free.

Unless you live in Internet censorship country - you are not getting extra security and privacy with public VPN providers. You are getting extra payments and inconveniences in form of slower connection, increased latency and ever expanding restricted services. This VPN business is like gold mine in Internet services. Some scare tactics, aggressive advertisement and targeted low tech audience just opens their wallets. You are very important for them.

Don't get a router from this website. You'll be paying more for something included or free.

Unless you live in Internet censorship country - you are not getting extra security and privacy with public VPN providers. You are getting extra payments and inconveniences in form of slower connection, increased latency and ever expanding restricted services. This VPN business is like gold mine in Internet services. Some scare tactics, aggressive advertisement and targeted low tech audience just opens their wallets. You are very important for them.
Where should I buy a VPN router?

And which firmware would be right for me?
VPN Fusion or MerlinWRT?

There is no such term "VPN router". There are routers with VPN client/server available, many brands and models. All home routers are restricted by the CPU up to about 250Mbps on commonly used by commercial VPN providers OpenVPN protocol, even high-end models. And it depends on the server load on the other side, not guaranteed. You obviously read some advertisements and believe every word. The best customer for VPN providers.

What do you need this "VPN router" for in first place? Privacy and security you won't get. What else?

There is no such term "VPN router". There are routers with VPN client/server available, many brands and models. All home routers are restricted by the CPU up to about 250Mbps on commonly used by commercial VPN providers OpenVPN protocol, even high-end models. And it depends on the server load on the other side, not guaranteed. You obviously read some advertisements and believe every word. The best customer for VPN providers.
By VPN router I mean a router that is ideally suited for VPN.
The Vilfo router, for example, is limited to 500 Mbit/s with OpenVPN

What do you need this "VPN router" for in first place? Privacy and security you won't get. What else?
I don't want my ISP IP address to appear somewhere I don't want it to.
I don't want a hacker to see my IP address and go through all the ports using brute force to gain access to my device.
I don't want my data traffic to be spied on using a man-in-the-middle attack.
I don't want to be censored anywhere.
I also don't want my ISP to see what I do on the Internet.

So yes, privacy, security, pseudonymity and freedom.

If you want high speed VPN then something like Pfsense will do it. You have to decide between OpenVPN and Winegard. One is single tasking and one is multitasking. So, you figure out whether you are using high clock or lots of cores.
The only reason I see to use VPN is for work but I live in the US.

So you replace one ISP with another with better promises and you pay both. Good luck, someone else will help you further.
Well, to be honest, I plan to use 2 VPN providers where it has been proven in court that they do not log. :D
One VPN knows my IP but does not see my data traffic.
The other VPN sees my data traffic but does not know my IP.

And I also use my ISP for things like Netflix, Instagram and everything else where my personal data can be seen.

That's the plan
I do my work properly, don't worry.

If you want high speed VPN then something like Pfsense will do it. You have to decide between OpenVPN and Winegard. One is single tasking and one is multitasking. So, you figure out whether you are using high clock or lots of cores.
Thank you :)
I am not looking for a VPN.
I am looking for a router that is ideally suited for VPN.

Well, to be honest, I plan to use 2 VPN providers where it has been proven in court that they do not log. :D
One VPN knows my IP but does not see my data traffic.
The other VPN sees my data traffic but does not know my IP.

And I also use my ISP for things like Netflix, Instagram and everything else where my personal data can be seen.

That's the plan
I do my work properly, don't worry.
If you don't mind, which two VPN providers are you referring to ?

If you don't mind, which two VPN providers are you referring to ?
Won in court:
- Perfect Privacy
- Mullvad
- Ovpn ( But I would be careful here, they were bought by Pango, behind which government authorities are suspected )

Third party audits:
- IVPN
- IPVanish

Third party audits: ( but be careful, maybe no logs but live tracking )
- Surfshark ( 2021 Nickolas Sharp. 6 years in prison. He used Surfshark, which unfortunately was able to match his activities to his profile )
- NordVPN ( Same owner as Surfshark )
- ExpressVPN ( Property of KAPE, presumably full access by Israeli and American authorities )
- ProtonVPN ( is very committed to supporting law enforcement agencies )
- VyprVPN ( No longer belongs to GoldenFrog, but to the US company "Certida" )

Wouldn't OPNsense be better suited for beginners?
Or OpenWRT ?

Last edited:
Won in court:
- Perfect Privacy
- Mullvad
- Ovpn ( But I would be careful here, they were bought by Pango, behind which government authorities are suspected )

Third party audits:
- IVPN
- IPVanish

Third party audits: ( but be careful, maybe no logs but live tracking )
- Surfshark ( 2021 Nickolas Sharp. 6 years in prison. He used Surfshark, which unfortunately was able to match his activities to his profile )
- NordVPN ( Same owner as Surfshark )
- ExpressVPN ( Property of KAPE, presumably full access by Israeli and American authorities )
- ProtonVPN ( is very committed to supporting law enforcement agencies )
- VyprVPN ( No longer belongs to GoldenFrog, but to the US company "Certida" )
You are upset a criminal trying to extort a business was caught. The chutzpah.

So yes, privacy, security, pseudonymity and freedom.
It seems your main concern is law enforcement and courts wanting to stop your illegal activities online.

You are upset a criminal trying to extort a business was caught. The chutzpah.

It seems your main concern is law enforcement and courts wanting to stop your illegal activities online.
Unfortunately because Surfshark lied and still logs even though they claimed otherwise.
I don't do anything illegal on the internet, just because I don't want to be controlled by governments doesn't mean that I engage in illegal activities.

Unfortunately because Surfshark lied and still logs even though they claimed otherwise.
I don't do anything illegal on the internet, just because I don't want to be controlled by governments doesn't mean that I engage in illegal activities.
A criminal chose Surfshark to do illegal activities and you are upset they did not get away with it i.e. you actively choose VPN's based on getting away with crimes.

( is very committed to supporting law enforcement agencies )

You want the opposite. Be honest with what you are doing.

A criminal chose Surfshark to do illegal activities and you are upset they did not get away with it i.e. you actively choose VPN's based on getting away with crimes.

You want the opposite. Be honest with what you are doing.
I don't want to be a transparent person that the government can easily see through.
Of course, why else would I use a VPN?
Then I could just stay with my ISP and save myself the VPN subscription.

If a VPN promises no-logs and keeps this despite pressure from the government, then I can trust this VPN blindly.
Then I feel safe with this provider.

If this were not the case, whistleblowers like Edward Snowden would have been dead long ago, or do you think Edward Snowden is a criminal because he published the truth?

I don't want to be a transparent person that the government can easily see through.
Of course, why else would I use a VPN?
Then I could just stay with my ISP and save myself the VPN subscription.

If a VPN promises no-logs and keeps this despite pressure from the government, then I can trust this VPN blindly.
Then I feel safe with this provider.

If this were not the case, whistleblowers like Edward Snowden would have been dead long ago, or do you think Edward Snowden is a criminal because he published the truth?
Why? You literally listed that you main concerns is hiding from law enforcement and courts because you know what you are doing is illegal. Be honest about your actions.

You went out of your way to cite "2021 Nickolas Sharp" who was not a whistleblower but an actual criminal doing illegal things. Don't you find it odd you cited a criminal and were upset that he was caught?

Why? You literally listed that you main concerns is hiding from law enforcement and courts because you know what you are doing is illegal. Be honest about your actions.
I am :)
You went out of your way to cite "2021 Nickolas Sharp" who was not a whistleblower but an actual criminal doing illegal things. Don't you find it odd you cited a criminal and were upset that he was caught?
no 0%

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!