What's new

Need router replacement. Help appreciated

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

almerickso

New Around Here
Hi All,

I've been looking through the wireless charts and reviews and would like to get some advice.

I live in a small loft apartment with 3 bedrooms (2 in the first floor and 1 above). I have been using a Buffalo WZR-HP-300NH (version 1) and I usually have pretty decent signal throughout the apartment with the room above with slightly weaker signal (lots of cement and steel in between). Between us, there are about 3 laptops, 7 tablets/phones and 2 wired devices.

Recently, we got a new housemate and it seems that we're getting a lot of wifi drops and sometimes some devices cannot connect at all to the network. Restarting the router helps most of the time but sometimes it doesn't. The wifi is running on 20hz and is on WPA/WPA2 mixed mode encryption (TKIP/AES). Per recommendation in the Buffalo support site. I'm not sure if the wireless problem is due to the devices of the new person but I've tried tweaking out the router's wifi settings and I'm about to give up. I'm now looking into possible replacement routers.

Our top requirements are strong stable 2.4Ghz signal and good low-signal downlink. Also, we would need it to have Gigabit ethernet. 5.0Ghz is not really needed but it seems most good routers nowadays are dual-band. From the charts I've shortlisted the Cisco Linksys E4200 but it seems that it has been replaced with a new version that has poorer 2.4Ghz performance.

I would like to know if any of your can give alternative recommendations based on experience. Alternatively, should I just get a refurbished E4200 from the Cisco website? (On a side note, is the power supply for this router 240v compatible?)

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited: