What's new

Need some help ax88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Brakiss

New Around Here
So I've had this issue the last couple days that if I use Google's DNS it kills my connection. I changed it back to my ISP and now it seems like my router is going down every 4 hours or so and takes an hour or two to come back up and then it's fine for 4 hours and repeat. I factory reset it 3 months ago and loaded the firmware available then. I saw that there was an April firmware update and dirty installed that today to see if it would help. It did not. Below is my log file, I'm having a hard time reading it because I have a lot of clients connecting and disconnecting and I don't know why. Anybody able to point me in a direction here or help me out?

Ac88u
3.0.0.4.388_24209 firmware

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    505.1 KB · Views: 13
FWIW, I did notice a few of the following ...

Code:
Jun 21 09:05:20 dnsmasq[1307]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)

Might want to increase your dnsmasq cache (cache-size directive) and see if it helps. I just don't know if that's adjustable w/ the OEM firmware. Should be w/ AsusWRT-Merlin (which might be worth considering for its own sake).

And btw, I do NOT ever recommend dirty firmware updates. That can lead to all kinds of weird problems! If you want to start over, do so we an absolutely clean slate. Update the firmware, set to factory defaults, and reconfigure. I know it's a hassle, but I've seen failure to do so lead to a lot of wasted time in the long run.

FWIW, I did notice a few of the following ...

Code:
Jun 21 09:05:20 dnsmasq[1307]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)

Might want to increase your dnsmasq cache (cache-size directive) and see if it helps. I just don't know if that's adjustable w/ the OEM firmware. Should be w/ AsusWRT-Merlin (which might be worth considering for its own sake).

And btw, I do NOT ever recommend dirty firmware updates. That can lead to all kinds of weird problems! If you want to start over, do so we an absolutely clean slate. Update the firmware, set to factory defaults, and reconfigure. I know it's a hassle, but I've seen failure to do so lead to a lot of wasted time in the long run.
Thank you I will check that out. It started doing it when it was a clean install couple days ago. I dirty flashed it to see if that would help it which it did not..

You have quite a few WAN disconnection messages.

Code:
Jun 21 15:22:25 WAN Connection: WAN(0) link down.

Your router is in double NAT connected to another upstream. Perhaps check what's going on there first?

You have quite a few WAN disconnection messages.

Code:
Jun 21 15:22:25 WAN Connection: WAN(0) link down.

Your router is in double NAT connected to another upstream. Perhaps check what's going on there first?
Indeed, I noticed that. How would I go about checking that?

You have another router upstream. Perhaps the ISP provided device. Check for service disconnections, cable, xDSL, fiber, whatever it is. It has GUI as well, most likely syslog, connection stats, etc. Your Asus syslog is quite messy for some reason. I see ports disconnections, USB removed at some point, lots of device disconnections indeed. And this UPnP enabled won't work in double NAT just like that. Perhaps wireless settings need review as well.

You have another router upstream. Perhaps the ISP provided device. Check for service disconnections, cable, xDSL, fiber, whatever it is. It has GUI as well, most likely syslog, connection stats, etc. Your Asus syslog is quite messy for some reason. I see ports disconnections, USB removed at some point, lots of device disconnections indeed. And this UPnP enabled won't work in double NAT just like that. Perhaps wireless settings need review as well.
We need so I have a AC 86u as a mesh Network addition, but I have no USB devices which I found weird. There's nothing plugged into my router at all via USB. I have a fiber modem in front of the router but this issue just popped up like 3 or 4 days ago after 2 years of no problems. So based upon what you're saying it sounds like the fiber modem is the issue.
Any particular Wi-Fi settings I should look at?

So based upon what you're saying it sounds like the fiber modem is the issue.

I don't know. Looks like it's not a modem only, IP 192.168.1.1 address. It's a router as well.

Any particular Wi-Fi settings I should look at?

There is no universal best settings. There are different Wi-Fi regulations with different channels and power available in different countries. You have to find what works best in your environment and with your clients. In general for better 5GHz band stability avoid DFS range and 160MHz wide channels. I would also disable Smart Connect, if enabled. If you have multiple IoT devices start here for 2.4GHz band settings:

Looking at your older posts you had issues before. The same Asus router?

I don't know. Looks like it's not a modem only, IP 192.168.1.1 address. It's a router as well.

There is no universal best settings. There are different Wi-Fi regulations with different channels and power available in different countries. You have to find what works best in your environment and with your clients. In general for better 5GHz band stability avoid DFS range and 160MHz wide channels. I would also disable Smart Connect, if enabled. If you have multiple IoT devices start here for 2.4GHz band settings:

Looking at your older posts you had issues before. The same Asus router?
So the device ahead of it is a alcatel l-211m-L which I know has no router so would it be my mesh addition causing errors?

Yes, I am on there verge of trashing it all and getting a ax11000 pro

Last edited:
Is your Asus WAN IP private address? What is miniupnpd complaining about?

Code:
Jun 20 16:44:25 miniupnpd[1466]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Jun 20 16:44:25 miniupnpd: it is advised to use network interface name instead of 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0

Is your Asus WAN IP private address? What is miniupnpd complaining about?

Code:
Jun 20 16:44:25 miniupnpd[1466]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Jun 20 16:44:25 miniupnpd: it is advised to use network interface name instead of 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
If I go to whatsmyip it matches what is in my router and i can connect to the IP via 8443.

Also these errors only started within the past 2 weeks, at least as far as I can tell.