What's new

Need some help setting up my home network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stylez78

New Around Here
So for the better part of the last 3 years I have been using the Zenwifi XT8 2 pack setup in my 2,000 sqft home. I have 3 levels essentially and with the main router on the main floor and the AP up on the 2nd floor used with the 5ghz backhaul (can't get a wire up there) gave me acceptable coverage decent download speed for all my devices. The issue was since I had FiOS the upload speed issues never were solved in all these years no matter what Firmware I used or trick I used. Last week I started getting lots of connection issues, connection drops disconnects etc so I decided to just disconnect it and start over.

I setup my older RT-AC86u for now running the latest merlin firmware and come to find it actually works pretty great speed all over the house is fast no dips in connection or anything of that nature but the range is not as good. Out in my yard I get no connection. I have tons of 2.4ghz connections pods lights, soffit lights, door camera, light switches bulbs all that smart home stuff and was thinking I needed a WiFi 6 router since they supposedly handle more 2.4ghz connections better. On the main floor and the sub floor I have wired ethernet so I could setup a 2nd AP wired but the top floor I can't get a wire up there. So I am looking for a setup where I can handle many devices, looking for longer coverage preferable outside the home without having to setup one of those outdoor extenders and be somewhat future proof if I decided to up from 1gbp to say 2.5gbp or higher. I have 3 kids so thee is constant gaming happening streaming HD content on multiple devices, tablets, phones, etc! I never had problems with speed loads or anything of that nature when using all these devices expect for when the XT8 didn't work correctly.

Questions
  1. Could I try taking one of the Xt8 devices and set it up on the other side of the house wired and use it in mesh mode with the AC86u as the main router (since the 86u doesn't have the upload issues the XT8 had with fios). Would both need to be setup with the same asus firmware to work and not the merlin firmware?
  2. Since the 86u doesn't support wifi6 or 2.5gbps and when looking for a replacement seeing the AX86u and the GT-AX6000 and the $50 difference any reasons to take 1 over the other in my situation or is there a better product instead of those to look for?
  3. If I really wanted more range for outside the home, let say to the back of my yard which is about 150ft away from the main house, does Asus make any type of outdoor AP or weatherproof type AP?
Appreciate any suggestions or advice!

and was thinking I needed a WiFi 6 router since they supposedly handle more 2.4ghz connections better

Wi-Fi 6 (AX) home router is unlikely to improve significantly your tons of Wi-Fi 4 (N) IoT devices. Perhaps this is your issue. Home routers support limited number of devices per radio and the more you add the closer you get to issues. About 2.5Gbps ISP or higher... you need 2.5GbE capable wired clients, perhaps additional 2.5GbE switch, nothing Wi-Fi will reach over Gigabit unless you want to test your luck with 160MHz wide channel in DFS range, etc. No phone/tablet will have any real benefit. If you start chasing the ISP speed you'll end up paying more and more with little difference in user experience. Don't invest in speed tests and don't rely on futureproofing with consumer products. They may lose support before this future comes to you.

does Asus make any type of outdoor AP or weatherproof type AP?

No.

I setup my older RT-AC86u for now running the latest merlin firmware and come to find it actually works pretty great speed all over the house

For coverage all you need is one new router like RT-AX88U Pro. For your back yard - get a plug-in extender, any brand. For your tons of IoTs - the new router may or may not help, test your luck. If it doesn't help - move some/most of the IoTs to dedicated APs, it's possible and not expensive to do.