What's new

Need to replace R7000 that died, Advice needed...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

y2jdmbfan

Regular Contributor
Guys,

I have a Netgear R7000 that has served me well the last 2 years in both my townhouse and now my bigger single family home. I get pretty good coverage throughout the house, I have the router in the kitchen on top of the cabinets, which is a pretty central location. I have wired ethernet run to all of the important rooms in the house so I am not using bridges or anything like that. The R7000 2.4GHz band no longer works reliably and won't work at all when set to Channel 1, which nobody around me is using, so I want to use that channel as it is completely empty. Tried various official Netgear firmwares and Open DDWRT to no avail. It worked breifly with Kong, but then stopped after a few hours. 5GHz band works fine.

Anyways, should I replace in kind with another R7000 or should I get something like the R7800 to be somewhat future proof. I don't need Tri-Band wifi.

Thanks!

You could get another AC1900 router like the R7000 or one of its peers from a different brand. Though MU-MIMO clients are trickling in, most people still mostly have regular ac/n clients so they won't see much benefit from the MU-MIMO routers just yet, plus not to mention the extra cost. Look at the Linksys WRT1900ACS and ASUS AC68U, pretty good alternatives to the R7000. and both have been out for a while so the firmware should be solid.

Now if you still want a MU-MIMO router, then yes the R7800 is good out of the box, without issues and has a much more powerful CPU than the R7000, but it also costs $269.99. Usually I would recommend getting a 6 months to 1 year old router model for firmware issues to be sorted.

Have you tired Xvortex?
I have 2 R7000's running on Xvortex in AP mode, with no issue. Luckily all my radios still work..

Looks like the R7800 just came out. I have a rule about new hardware. Don't buy it, until it has been on the market, for at least six months.. But, that's just me..

If the R7000 fulfills your needs, and your current one needs replacing, I'd go with the R7000 again, personally. After trying a different variety of firmware, as suggested above, though. Like XVortex, or Kong's latest dd-wrt release. I'm currently using Kong's latest dd-wrt firmware release, and it is working really well. As does XVortex 378.56_2.

By the way, my R7000 about 2 years and 4 months old, and I've been lucky enough that it's still going strong. Not because I've treated it with kid gloves *smile*, I'm always flashing and testing new firmware, but it has been a great piece of hardware for me. Really love the reliability, it just works, and works well.

The R7000 2.4GHz band no longer works reliably and won't work at all when set to Channel 1, which nobody around me is using, so I want to use that channel as it is completely empty. Tried various official Netgear firmwares and Open DDWRT to no avail. It worked breifly with Kong, but then stopped after a few hours. 5GHz band works fine

When a Router that was previously stable starts acting flaky, the first thing to consider is the AC Adapter, which is a small cost compared to buying a new Router...