What's new

Need to set up new fiber net

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ulaganath

Very Senior Member
Hi guys
I am getting a new connection but the PC is another room.

I currently have R7000, WNDR4720,TPLINK PPOWERLINE NANO 500Mb/s

What is the best way to get connected.

Connection speed is 50Mb/s download and 6 Mb upload

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Currently i cant run a wire though the room is next right but i am seeing alternate ways as its just 50Mb/s downlink. As i can get good wifi from my r7000 . Also i am thinking to have r7000 with me and connect the fibernet via a powerline. Will it work.

The TPLINK powerline is 500Mb/s nano adapter but not sure if get 50Mb and above as from my current setup i get 110Mb/s via powerline from room to Hall TV. So its almost double what i will be getting. Let me see as i am still facing challege in connecting modem and powerline with only one power plug point.

If you CAN run cat 5 and avoid a WiFi link to an immobile desktop, by all means do so.
Or MoCA, or IP on powerline.

Wireless is the "last resort".

If you CAN run cat 5 and avoid a WiFi link to an immobile desktop, by all means do so.
Or MoCA, or IP on powerline.

Wireless is the "last resort".
Wireless is for convenience and for low network requirement applications. Its much cheaper to deploy than using wire. For his internet bandwidth using AC wireless will work fine as long as he connects his routers using ethernet or wire and not wifi.

i believe ac can take advantage as such the current provision only has 1 power plug socket. As the fiber needs to be converted to analog and then proprietary ISP modem to demodulate for internet requires a plug point. As recommended powerline cant have another device interrupting. So powerline is not an option if i am using a multiple socket connector or UPS.

Only two option.

Either move the r7x to that place connect everything to UPS modem, router and have every device wired.

I have wnd4100 n900 adaptor so hope it can handle atleast 200Mb/s wireless speed even if 50-60% practical is concerned.

Rest all wireless even if getting 4-8Mb/s each will do as i have max 5-8 connecting at a time for various usage.

I need one thing to see if netgear by chance have bandwidth control. Say i dont have to exausht given full bandwidth.

Can it be possible to limit to say 10-16Mb/s of provisioned 50Mb/s so that i dont exhaust so soon.

Does fiber modem can limit the bandwidth

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

I can try moca . I didnt know about it. How to use that to connect.

There are powerline devices with filtered pass-through power sockets.

Got the connection. WOW 53Mb/s down and 6Mb/s upload. Whooping speed in my country. Good to go for future as its 1gb WAN capable.

Kind of transferring via usb 2.0 pen drive. .

Currently i moved my R7000 to the connectivity room and currently desktop is connecting via wireless WNDA 4100 n900 adapter. Its ok as i getting beyond 40Mb from 19 -80 fluctuating.

Not much by the ISP speed. I can easily get arround 3-5MB/s so in near future may see for AC PCI-E adaptor if things gets cheaper.

I need to get it set my APC 1100VA ups to that for intermittant battery backup just in case power goes doewn. Its not good for short power disconnects as it take 3-5 min to be back online and will also make the devices unusable.

@thiggins.

I will try powerline. But i will keep my net on always so i am not sure if powerline can be on always wont it get heat and worn out. I am not sure.

Hi All,

I had a second though to connect my 1 year old Netgear centria as wireless bridge and connect my Computer , 2 printers and if required Powerline adaptor which is far better as if it was my initial setup when my r7000 was setup in my computer room.

With this setup i get always 450Mb/s wireless bridge speed to computer which is 10 times better than current 40Mb/s connectivity. Also it will bridge the HD player in my main room.

I just wanted to know during the wireless bridge mode will the DHCP server from R7000 is better or Bridge has it own DHCP. As its will purely getting net and file sharing wirlessly to Lan.

Let me know if by chance the Mac filter be applicable for Wiredbridge as well. If i set the DHCP off in Centria and set my main router as DHCP for all wireless and wired clients. Will there be any degrade in performance.

The current setup is adjacent room with on thick concrete wall intbween and a wooden wardrobe.

Hope if this works for now my setup stay strong and i dont needs to spend for any PCI-E adaptor anymore. As it is currently costing atleast 5k and goes upto 10k for ac1900

I am holding off the wireless bridge as of now as the current setup itself draining the bandwidth and it should be fine as of now. Also the HD player should be able to stream without any issues as the router is in the line of sight for the good signal strength

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online