What's new

Need WiFi with USB

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cardinalsfan

Occasional Visitor
Ok...I need some help. I am replacing a 5 year old Linksys portable router that is on it's last legs. We have two laptops with wireless N cards along with a Wii, PSP and a wifi enabled printer. I want a wireless router to replace the old one. I live in an apartment so range is not an issue. The main thing I want is to be able to hook my external USB drive to the router for both laptops to access. I have been reading reviews on this site and others and have narrowed it down to a few different ones but still have questions.

Will having all these items connected to WiFi (not all of them will be using the connection constantly, just the two laptops will be using constantly) slow down the connection on the laptops? I want to connect at N speeds (130 - 300 mbps) not G speeds (54 mbps).

Would using a router like the WNDR3700 help with this? Since there are two "networks" to connect to (the N and the G) I would think the ones connected to N would be ok.

Would getting a N router without dual band make the laptops run at G (54) speeds?

If getting a dual band actually does me no good for my situation, which would be the best? I see alot of nice D-Links that have USB and pretty good reviews. I have always used Linksys so I like the 610 but it is pretty expensive. I have had bad results with Belkin and Netgear before so that kind of worries me.

so my printer supports a wired connection...I think I might just move it next to the router and do it that way...the Wii will not always be connected. I now want one of the D-Link routers. Any thoughts?