What's new

Need wireless bridge to connect Vera Lite Home Controller

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phydeauxman

Occasional Visitor
I currently have DSL Internet access in my townhouse with a Linksys Router/Wireless Access Point. I also use a Vera Lite home controller to control a z-wave door knob and some other devices. The Vera Lite connects to the Internet by being wired to the Linksys router and then getting an IP from it via DHCP. My HOA has recently started providing WiFi throughout our complex to all home owners and I would like to get rid of my DSL connection to save money. This also means I will no longer have my Linksys router. I need what I think is a wireless bridge that my Vera will connect to (wired) and then the wireless bridge will provide it a wifi connection the wireless access point provided by my HOA. Do I have this write? Can anyone recommend devices that will work in this scenario?

I currently have DSL Internet access in my townhouse with a Linksys Router/Wireless Access Point. I also use a Vera Lite home controller to control a z-wave door knob and some other devices. The Vera Lite connects to the Internet by being wired to the Linksys router and then getting an IP from it via DHCP. My HOA has recently started providing WiFi throughout our complex to all home owners and I would like to get rid of my DSL connection to save money. This also means I will no longer have my Linksys router. I need what I think is a wireless bridge that my Vera will connect to (wired) and then the wireless bridge will provide it a wifi connection the wireless access point provided by my HOA. Do I have this write? Can anyone recommend devices that will work in this scenario?

there's another thread with someone in the situation of the building owner providing WiFi for residents, and it's not the best situation.

I would suggest keeping the DSL connection and running your own AP/Router...

I need what I think is a wireless bridge that my Vera will connect to (wired) and then the wireless bridge will provide it a wifi connection the wireless access point provided by my HOA. Do I have this write? Can anyone recommend devices that will work in this scenario?
Yes, you want a wireless bridge. Many routers also support that function, such as the Edimax BR-6208AC.

Keep in mind that your device will be on a network shared by all other residents in your complex. That is not exactly a secure situation and you need to take precautions that others don't access your devices and data.

There are ways to do it using your building's network, but they can get a bit complicated.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!