What's new

Neighbour appears in my N66U client list?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jelly

New Around Here
Hi,

I am after some advice. I have spotted my neighbour's device has appeared on my N66U client list. I am using Merlin build 374.43.

Problem is I have no idea how to begin to investigate this. I would like to know if this is a result of a one-off attempt to connect to my network or if this means they can connect at will. Is there any way I can see the history of connections for this client?

I have noticed this client also appears in my DHCP lease table
http://192.168.1.1/Main_DHCPStatus_Content.asp

I don't want to press refresh on any of the firmware pages in case this overwrites anything. I have taken screenshots of course.

Any advice for a noob at this sort of thing appreciated.

I guess the final thing would be to block access to the device after I've ascertained what's been going on. Would this be done via the mac filter?

Thanks

If your neighbor is savvy enough to connect to your network a MAC filter isn't going to stop them.

Probably what happened is they might have inadvertently tried to connect and were not successful in entering the correct paraphrase. To be sure your network is secure here is what you can do.

1. Using an Ethernet cable connect to your router and then disable both radios temporarily. (If your security has been compromised you don't want to broadcast what you are doing.)

2. Change your admin password to a very secure password 10+ characters including letters, capital letters, numbers and symbols. I believer ASUS routers are limited to a maximum of 15 character passwords.

3. Disable WPS if you don't use that feature and be sure remote access to your router from the Internet is blocked unless you have a reason to need it.

4. Then change the paraphrase for both radios and all guest networks that are active or ever active on your network.

5. Turn you radios back on and you are good to go. You will of course have to change the paraphrase on all WiFi connected devices. If you have kids tell them not to share passwords with their friends and your neighbors.

Make sure you don't have Guest Networks enabled, and that you are using WPA2-AES as security for both 2.4 and 5 GHz band. Anything below that is trivial to crack.

Changing your WPA2 key is probably a good idea as well, in case it was either easily guessed, or shared at some point.