What's new

Netgear 6700

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JD575

Occasional Visitor
I am still searching for a AC bargain to replace my 3500v2 router. I came across the Netgear R6700, a Costco model that appears to be a neutered R7000. Right now $159. However, like all things at Costco, I think they will discount it soon to move them out the door. Like the AC1450 (R6300).

My question about these Costco models is Netgear's support. Do they keep the FW up to date? I only see the initial release, but no other updates. Yet it appears that the R7000 has had several this year.

My worry is that they don't care whole lot since Costco is a small market. Just an outlet to make more sales.

JD

Amazon has been selling a refurb Netgear R6300 V1 for $85 for a long time. Put DD-WRT on it if you want. They also have a refurbished R6250 that's inexpensive.

I have a R6300 V1 with DD-WRT (25015-SP1 Kong) and it works great. 5 gigahertz requires you to set an explicit country and channel, not auto, to work. If you get one, just remember to use the initial flash version before loading the final DD-WRT build. Build 24200 requires less dinking around with 5 gigahertz but you still might have to play around a bit to get full ac speeds.

Newegg is selling a refurbished Netgear AC1450 for about $75, and less with the right coupon code. It can be converted into a R6300 V2 rather easily. The AC1450 mode is reported to be a little unstable if you follow the sales review sites. Slickdeals.com appears to be redirecting a lot of traffic to Newegg with info on the coupon code and links to conversion instructions. It also support DD-WRT, but uses different firmware than the R6300 V1. I made the R6300 V2 conversion but later went to DD-WRT. Build 24345M STD OLDD is said to be the most stable, according to the Kong changelog. The DD-WRT forum states random reboots happen with newer builds and NEWD drivers if some Apple clients are connected.

My two routers work in a client bridge config. I've been thinking of buying some AC cards for my laptops.

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/ is where to find all Kong DD-WRT builds. Remember to use the initial build first for any router you decide to get.

Last edited:
Thanks for the slickdeals link, ended up with a $99 set of JBL wireless headphones for $19 bucks.

I am still searching for a AC bargain to replace my 3500v2 router. I came across the Netgear R6700, a Costco model that appears to be a neutered R7000. Right now $159. However, like all things at Costco, I think they will discount it soon to move them out the door. Like the AC1450 (R6300).
JD

You were correct about Costco discounting the r6700. I received a flier when I exited the store and it had the 6700 Nighthawk for $139.00 starting Nov 21, in store and online at costco.com.
I purchased mine about two weeks ago for the regular $159. It has worked flawlessly so far.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!