What's new

Netgear/D-Link Live Parental controls vs. "regular" OpenDNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hdunlavy

New Around Here
I am currently using OpenDNS to control web site access on my home network. I do this by specifying the OpenDNS name servers on my router (a D-Link DIR-655). I also run a utility on my Windows notebook provided by OpenDNS to keep OpenDNS aware of my network IP address, which changes whenever my router is rebooted.

I was wondering if there are any advantages to the way the Netgear and D-Link routers have OpenDNS built into them. I would assume I would no longer have to worry about updating my IP address.

In particular, in my current setup, the restricted web sites can be accessed by an individual client which has its own DNS servers set. Do these routers solve that issue?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I think not. If a savvy kid reads how to change the PC to static IP and specify the DNS server, it'll bypass.

I don't know if some routers are capable of seeing a DNS request going out to an address other than OpenDNS, and block.
Whatever scheme is used, there's a work-around to defeat it. Spy vs. Spy.

Kids will always find and tell one another how to beat the system. So it goes without saying what a parent should do.

Good question. Routers generally have DNS relay and hand out their IP as the DNS and Gateway to clients. They then forward traffic to either the DNS server they grab from your ISP or the DNS IP that you set.

As Steve said, anyone who can change their IP settings can set a new DNS server.
No easy way around this that I know of with consumer-grade routers.

I think not. If a savvy kid reads how to change the PC to static IP and specify the DNS server, it'll bypass.

I don't know if some routers are capable of seeing a DNS request going out to an address other than OpenDNS, and block.
Whatever scheme is used, there's a work-around to defeat it. Spy vs. Spy.

Kids will always find and tell one another how to beat the system. So it goes without saying what a parent should do.

A determined user could go off-site and note the IP of a blacklisted site, which would bypass DNS entirely.

Cisco IOS devices can filter DNS traffic via ACL, and are affordable if you shop for end-of-life models on ebay.

Technology does not replace good parenting...

Sit down with your kids and educate them about safe internet usage and best practices...

Much easier in the long run :cool:

I am currently using OpenDNS to control web site access on my home network. I do this by specifying the OpenDNS name servers on my router (a D-Link DIR-655). I also run a utility on my Windows notebook provided by OpenDNS to keep OpenDNS aware of my network IP address, which changes whenever my router is rebooted.

I was wondering if there are any advantages to the way the Netgear and D-Link routers have OpenDNS built into them. I would assume I would no longer have to worry about updating my IP address.

In particular, in my current setup, the restricted web sites can be accessed by an individual client which has its own DNS servers set. Do these routers solve that issue?

Thanks.

There is a OpenDNS Family Shield I use that on tablets can be used on PCs. This has better restrictions that regular OpenDNS.

Technology does not replace good parenting...

Sit down with your kids and educate them about safe internet usage and best practices...

Much easier in the long run :cool:

Yes, indeed.
And tell them why it's important, in their youth.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!