What's new

Netgear Nighthawk equivalent to ASUS Smart Access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rawsharc

New Around Here
Hi guys, like many people I'm on the fence on getting the AC68U or the R7000. I wanted to find out three things about both these routers,

- Does the R7000 have an equivalent to ASUS Smart Access, that is able to remotely access all shared folders, computers on your home network.

- Does the "slower" (in comparison to the R7000's ridiculous R/W speeds on USB external storage to the router) R/W speeds on the AC68U affect its ability to stream 720p/1080p videos quickly and without much wait time from an attached USB 2.0 hard drive.

- Is QoS any better/worse on either of these routers?

I was leaning heavily toward the R7000 but the AICloud features and its Android App and the general sleeker UI of the AC68U has given me some serious doubts.

Last edited:
Hi guys, like many people I'm on the fence on getting the AC68U or the R7000. I wanted to find out three things about both these routers,

- Does the R7000 have an equivalent to ASUS Smart Access, that is able to remotely access all shared folders, computers on your home network.

- Does the "slower" (in comparison to the R7000's ridiculous R/W speeds on USB external storage to the router) R/W speeds on the AC68U affect its ability to stream 720p/1080p videos quickly and without much wait time from an attached USB 2.0 hard drive.

- Is QoS any better/worse on either of these routers?

I was leaning heavily toward the R7000 but the AICloud features and its Android App and the general sleeker UI of the AC68U has given me some serious doubts.
I'm also quite interested in the first question. :)

The R7000 has a built in VPN server which allows access to local storage. I used it to access my NAS and media server. Though I had to stop using it because they are being slow on adding android support, so I use untabgle running on an old PC. Which supports my laptop tablet, and smartphone

Does the R7000 have an equivalent to ASUS Smart Access, that is able to remotely access all shared folders, computers on your home network.

Personally, this is my experience and how I feel about accessing files via remote access served by routers and some NAS's. I say it is not a good idea now a days. When the Western Digital My Book Live was enabled to be accessed via the "cloud" the devices was being knocked on by hackers so much I disabled it. This included my VPN. Since I do not need to access files remotely, and such other capabilities, I have actually disabled these features.

I really got tired of some dude from France trying to hack into my VPN, or China wanting to see if they can get into the My Book Live. Matter-of-fact, any request sent to the My Book Live would cause it to come out of sleep. So, as the continued hacks were occurring, the NAS could not sleep or would be awakened all too often not saving power and doing one of the worst things to a hard drive-park and spin. Rather than being completely turned off,or continuous spin.

Personally, I would only use a VPN and then access via this way. Placing files on the Internet is way overrated when there is not much in layers of security. Even though I did not place anything of important values to be accessed via remote access, it still is an accessible resource that anyone has access to.

I really wish I can use pfSense and blacklist countries and IP's, but it still is not "affordable" because resource cost and performance. It is getting closer, but not enough in comparison yet.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!