What's new

netgear or Asus

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jangodog

Occasional Visitor
Hi i'm between these two models from
Asus and Netgear. Been reading good and
bad on both models but the r6300 is about
90$ cheaper then the asus. But price isn't the
key factor and i just wan't to get the one most
users find most stable and reliable:)

jangodog

I have a customer with an R6300 and while it has been relatively stable for him for the last year, it is not anywhere close (performance) to what is available today, nor is it actively developed anymore. Unless you count on DD-WRT which I do not rely on as it offers more features, but lower performance.

Given that it is $90 cheaper though, that is something you have to decide if it is worth it or not.

The RT-AC68U on the other hand is still being actively developed by Asus and RMerlin. Especially the RMerlin builds are developed first with stability in mind and because they are so close to the official Asus builds (except for fixes), the performance is as good or better than those official builds.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7846

While the R6300 can offer adequate performance at a good price, it is essentially a discontinued product that is past EOL.

The RT-AC68U though offers much better performance and is actively being developed (at least for the next few months, June to September 2014, when it's successor is expected, the RT-AC87U. To me, that is easily worth the additional $90.

However, arguably the best performing router right now is the Netgear R7000. But at the 'cost' of all the downsides noted above. Netgear seems to drop updating firmware support for their routers very early in their life.

If you just need basic features like routing and wireless networking to be as stable and reliable as possible, (without needing the very best performance or the best range) I think any of these three will do the job. And therefore cost is the only consideration.

If you need anything more than the mere basics, the Asus/RMerlin combo is a hard act to follow, imo. The Asus hardware seems almost bullet proof and the contributions that RMerlin makes is rarely seen in consumer products today (and he does it for free).

One more note about Netgear: yes, they advertise the R6300 as a dual cpu router and it does in fact ship with that hardware. However, I don't think that any firmware has yet to enable the second core, almost 18 months later (I may be wrong on this though). Hard to trust in a company with Marketing BS like this, eh?

Last edited:
It all depends what is OP's main use for the router. R7000 is waiting for V1.0.2.197.x
firmware release. According to Kong at dd-wrt "best f/w ever tried", it is in beta stage
but soon it'll be available. I came from Asus to Netgear and for the time being dd-wrt
is doing a good job with this router. But I am going back to OEM f/w with next release.
One more thing, Netgear router runs much cooler compared to Asus.

Here is R7000 yet to be released newest f/w. I am running on it now.
ftp://61.239.251.8/temp/TW/R7000-V1.0.2.197_1.0.17.chk
came from dd-wrt R7000 forum.

Last edited:
It all depends what is OP's main use for the router. R7000 is waiting for V1.0.2.197.x
firmware release. According to Kong at dd-wrt "best f/w ever tried", it is in beta stage
but soon it'll be available. I came from Asus to Netgear and for the time being dd-wrt
is doing a good job with this router. But I am going back to OEM f/w with next release.
One more thing, Netgear router runs much cooler compared to Asus.

I also go back and forth between Netgear and dd-wrt firmware. I just came back to Netgear firmware a couple of days ago when I found that my Android and iPad download speeds on dd-wrt were running about 1/3 of the usual on 2.4GHz. And dd-wrt is fine on 5GHz., which is why I didn't notice the 2.4GHz. problem immediately. With the stock Netgear firmware (194), I get very close to my ISP's wired download speed on both 2.4 and 5GHz. wireless. Of course, there are a lot of other considerations when choosing between firmware, but performance for me is number 1 *smile*.

So I'm still waiting for the "best firmware ever tried" on dd-wrt, and also waiting on other fixes for the Netgear firmware. While it's good to keep in mind that every router has its problems, the Netgear R7000 has been an outstanding performer for core functionality (routing and wireless) for me.

Hi,well i really don't need an advanced router
but from what 9 out of 10 has recommended
Asus 68U it,s the router for me:)

Maybe one should wait for the new Asus but
if the 68U price drops it's a no brainer:)

Thank's for all your inputs and it's great to
get advice before purchase new Electronics :)

Jangodog

Run Forrest Run (from Netgear)

I have previously owned an Asus RT-AC66R that I purchased at Best Buy. Fast forward 9 months I was on the phone with Asus because one of the USB ports had failed. Asus support was extremely competent and RMA'd the unit in less than 15 minutes (including hold time). The icing on the cake is they told me I could mail it in, but they also had an agreement with Best Buy that allowed me to return the unit directly to Best Buy. While skeptical that they would accept a return so far past their stated policy time, I tried and it worked!
With a gift card in hand I bounced between the router isle and a demo computer looking at reviews and decided on a Netgear R7000.
On going home with my shiny new Netgear, I immediately unboxed it and got to work. Firmware upgrade available it said, firmware upgrade I did. Firmware upgrade available again it said, firmware upgrade attempt I did-except on the same page it was telling me upgrade available and firmware was current. Bug number one. Then i tried to set up my USB hard drive. It showed my drives but wouldn't show the pop-ups to enable or edit the shares.
Call to support. Explained problems-5 times to "Peggy"(you know the commercial-My name Peggy). First we need to register your product-OK. More repeating and repeating. Once he finally understood me he went on to try to upsell me on 2 years of service for $199 dollars. I lost it. Your firmware has bugs and you are trying to sell me extended service before you have even attempted to resolve my issue-plus Asus provides this service with their routers-not as an additional cost that is the price of the router again-I'll fix it myself, your getting your router back.
I wanted to explain this to justify my advice. Netgear has the best hardware on the market to date. However their firmware is still very immature and customer service is garbage. I am currently on an Asus RT-AC68R using Rmerlins firmware and I am nothing less than impressed. The Asus has a few minor bugs, but with Merlin being so active you can trust that bugs are fixed by someone who shows great dedication to the product line. The Netgear would have been nice because of its hardware, but you cant beat Asus in terms of Asus's customer service and Merlins dedication to cleaning up the firmware. And you really can't beat a warranty that allows you to perform a counter exchange months after purchase. Plus Asus answers their phones in INDIANA, not Peggyville.

Last edited:
... Netgear has the best hardware on the market to date. However their firmware is still very immature and customer service is garbage.
For years running, this has been my experience with Netgear routers. Well marketed. Not well engineered. No visible firmware quality assurance. I say the same for D-Link. They are in a very competitive market with tiny profits, so something has to give. Netgear has long made good semi-pro switches.

Want reliable? Get a SOHO grade WiFi router from other than the mass market vendors - ones that sell to businesses in the main, and don't "care" about consumer retail.

Last edited:
Well i think i made up my mind for Asus RT AC68U.

Thank's to all users in this thread and rest a sure
"i'll be back" when i got it with new questions :)

And forgot to mention i have the Netgear CG3000 modem/
that also works as a wireless router:) Which means i have
to set the new Asus 68U in bridge with the CG3000 Netgear?

The CG3000 is from my internet provider so i can't use
the Asus 68 with out the other:(

Every Asus product I have used have a beta/unfinished feel to it except their motherboards.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Every Asus product I have used have a beta/unfinished feel to it except their motherboards.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Have had many motherboards from them; all top quality.
In terms of WiFi, they tend to be on the bleeding edge. If you stay a generation back, I've had no issues yet.
Netgear: Good metal pro switches. WiFi is very inconsistent - rushed to market, not well tested hardware or firmware. I avoid it.

OP says "Netgear or ASUS". Why limit your selection to these? There are 6 or more robust vendors to use. For my main router, I avoid consumer stuff.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!