What's new

Netgear Quietly Releases R6050 AC750 Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mediatrek

Regular Contributor
FYI- Netgear has posted the R6050 quietly to their site. It is an AC750 (300mbps + 450Mbps) router with three external 5dBI antennas and is shipping now on Amazon.com for $79.99. The unit’s features also include:

• Gigabit Wired Ports (1 WAN, 4 LAN)
  • 128MB flash and 128MB RAM
  • 1 USB 2.0 port
  • ReadySHARE USB Support
  • ReadySHARE Printer Support

While the internal FCC image documents are under short-term confidentiality until late November, internal images posted of the overseas version of this unit (Netgear JR6150) show that the unit is powered by the MediaTek MT7620A SoC which can run @ up to 580Mhz, the MediaTek MT7610EN for the 802.11ac single-stream radio, and a Qualcomm-Atheros QCA8337-AL3C 10/100/1000 switch.

looks pretty nice, i would have definately considered this as a router for my dad if i didnt just order him an rt-n53 the other day ($57 including tax and shipping)

he just got ftth at his place and im jealous....

It's nice seeing some of the recent high-end features starting to trickle down into more affordable routers. Not everyone wants to put 200$ into a new router :)

True nice specs for a $80.00 router. I like what Netgear is doing recently. I never been a Netgear fan until now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you look closely, the AC750/R6050 has the same case design as the N450/WNR2500 router, with the exception of the blue LED Indicator panel, and for the N450, the 5Ghz band light is removed (since it's a 2.4GHz Only Router). On the R6050, there is an addition of a USB 2.0 (ReadyShare/ReadyNAS) port on the front of the device, near the WPS/Wireless switches. The WNR2500 has no USB port, at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like routers with external antennas are becoming trendy again. I wish the 5 GHz band N is 2 stream though. It would've been a winner if they make the 5 GHz 2 streams but MIMO is only disabled on 80 MHz width and 256-QAM.

It looks like routers with external antennas are becoming trendy again. I wish the 5 GHz band N is 2 stream though. It would've been a winner if they make the 5 GHz 2 streams but MIMO is only disabled on 80 MHz width and 256-QAM.

Single-stream routers are cheaper to make, what you are suggesting is to build a dual-stream router and limit its functionality in software. What financial incentive would they have to do that compared to a cheaper single-stream model?

Not only would that hit their profit margins but there would also be the risk of DD-WRT/OpenWRT coming along and unlocking MIMO, undermining sales of their higher end units.

Does anyone know if this device enables a GUEST wireless setup?? in addition to the regular wireless??

Have a refurb ac6250 that is performing quite poorly, the iPad is not getting sufficient signal on the other side of the wall, and it is not even a concrete wall, it is wood/drywall type stuff...

Yep it states separate and secure access for guests. I may have to pick this up. Waiting for a pro review first. It seems most people are happy with the WiFi range and speed.

Non removable antennas and no IPv6 support as far as I know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had this router for a few hours and already sending it back to Amazon. Quick review. Cheap plastic when putting the middle antenna down it pulls the back of the router off. 5GHz band is horrible and it cuts out at only 40 feet from the router. Wired and 2.4GHz band is pretty good. No IPv6. Stay away from this one.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!