What's new

Netgear R6700 slow to load webpages

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rhodesengr

Occasional Visitor
I just bought a new netgear R6700. It is very slow to load webpages on either wired or wireless connections. If I run speedtest.net, I get good speeds: >100MB/sec down and >10MB/sec up but like other pages it takes a long time to get to the speedtest part.

A webpage will start to load and then stop. After about 20 seconds, the rest will load.

If I plug straight in to my cable modem (comcast service with doscis 3) I do not get this behavior.

My previous router ( a zyzel) did not do this.

I did not change any of the default router settings. All I did was set my wireless security.

Any ideas?

I am going to get one of these this weekend and I will let you know what I see.

I am not sure what would make something like that happen. Please post if you find out the problem, there is so little support on this router.

I bought it at Costco so taking it back would be no problem. Just takes time and hassle so if it is fixable, I'd rather fix it

Just a nit, I can't imagine you are getting 100MB/sec down and 10MB/sec up.

That would be 100 MegaBYTEs per second down and 10 up.

I assume you mean 100Mbps down and 10Mbps up (you can also write it 100Mb/sec, but that is a more confusing notation).

Little "b" is bits, big "B" is bytes. Always.

Typical convention is to use MB/sec for Megabytes per second and Mbps for Megabits per second for the least confusion.

Do you have the same problem with different browsers on different systems? FF on Windows has had behavior like you describe since FF 32. I keep hoping for a fix, but none yet.

Okay, I got my r6700 yesterday. So far working like a charm, did not see any problems with web pages loading on any laptops or tablets. I have IOS devices and windows pc.

Maybe you should try a different dns server as a test and clear cache and temp files.

Please let a fellow r6700 user know how it all turns out.

Do you have the same problem with different browsers on different systems? FF on Windows has had behavior like you describe since FF 32. I keep hoping for a fix, but none yet.

I use a lot of VMs. I generally get the best performance by using the "stock" browser in any given OS.

Yes, that means that in general, I get the best performance out of IE on Windows-based machines.

I use Firefox on almost all of my Linux distress, though.

I assume you mean 100Mbps down and 10Mbps up (you can also write it 100Mb/sec, but that is a more confusing notation).

sorry for the sloppy units. It is whatever units are displyed on Speedtest.net. I looked closer and it is 100M bits per second.

Anyway, I got back from being out of town and screwed around with it last night and it seems to be working ok now. I unplugged everything and just tried wireless before any power cycling. It was still slow to load. I power cycled both the R6700 and the cable modem and that seemed to fix it. Power cycling just the modem before did not seem to help so the issue must have been in the modem but I can't say for sure.

Just curious... what is going on in the modem where it sort of works but not promptly that gets fixed with a power cycle?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!