What's new

Netgear r7000 droppping wifi and internet daily

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

marksef

New Around Here
Recently purchased Netgear R7000 to replace Netgear N900.

Since setting up I have had constant wifi and internet dropouts which can only be fixed by router reset. Wired devices work fine (except for no internet connection).

Wireless devices can still see both 2.4G and 5G networks but cannot connect with existing working saved wireless setup. Once router is rebooted everything works fine for another 6-8 hours

Have been speaking to Netgear support (what a waste of time that is, change MTU to 1400, change wifi channel and other useless suggestions).

My N900 worked perfectly for months at a time.

Anybody have any ideas?

Are you familiar with DD-WRT at all? You might want to think about using it instead of stock firmware.

Hi,
Is the f/w latest? When I had R7000, I ran dd-wrt all the time with no such issues.

I'm using the latest stock firmware on my R7000, and just clocked through 7 days of continuous uptime on it. It's working great, no wireless problems. Before that, I had dd-wrt build 24345M with "OLDD" on the R7000, and it was up for a month, again with no wireless problems.

Couple of thoughts. Be sure that after you upgrade your firmware on the R7000 (or any router), that you reset the router to factory defaults and re-enter your settings manually. Don't restore a saved settings file made on another firmware version, or you're asking for problems.

If this doesn't help, yes, you can try dd-wrt firmware, but from what you're saying it sounds like something more basic is going wrong here.

If the reset to defaults thing doesn't work, please list your firmware version and the settings that you have. This would be helpful in helping you.

Thanks.

I advise don't change firmware until you know what's wrong.

With a PC connected by cat5 to router, do you get internet access failures?

When a failure is in process, do the lights on your ISP's modem look normal? Can you access and check signal levels of that modem? If it's a cable modem, it might be 192.168.100.1 for web displays.

If the wired PC also does not work, it could be a DHCP failure between the router and the modem.

It can be the router's wall transformer. That's common.

Recently purchased Netgear R7000 to replace Netgear N900.

Since setting up I have had constant wifi and internet dropouts which can only be fixed by router reset. Wired devices work fine (except for no internet connection).

Wireless devices can still see both 2.4G and 5G networks but cannot connect with existing working saved wireless setup. Once router is rebooted everything works fine for another 6-8 hours

Good to know - this sounds like it is not a wifi issue specifically since your wired devices also lose connectivity.

Have been speaking to Netgear support (what a waste of time that is, change MTU to 1400, change wifi channel and other useless suggestions).

My N900 worked perfectly for months at a time.

Anybody have any ideas?

Well...

1) if things were working fine with the N900, then it's likely not anything else in your network - do you still have the older N900 router/AP - what happens if you replace the R7000 with the older device, does the problem go away?

2) You didn't mention that you were either Cable or DSL on the WAN side

3) You mention 6 to 8 hours - take a closer look at this one item - wonder if this is the router not picking up a new WAN address (if Cable this could be a DHCP timeout, power cycling the router reinitializes things, and perhaps this is an issue)

4) Avoid DD-WRT for the moment, focus on the three items above first - goes without saying though that checking to see if you have current factory firmware or not, and if not, update and do a hard reset on the router, and redo the setup

5) All else fails, maybe you have a bad router...

The R7000 is an odd duck - most folks run it without issues, but about 20 percent have stability issues like you're reporting - it's a bit higher than normal when you compare it to others in the same price range...

sfx

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!