What's new

Netgear R7000 or R7500

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

testing

New Around Here
Hi,

if you'd have to choose between the R7000 and the R7500, which one would you buy?

As it seems the R7000 seems the more stable and well-engineered device, but the reviews are mostly more than a half year old. Netgear is constantly pushing some firmware updates and things get improved. E.g. the R7000 got ReadyCLOUD support or Certified for CE DFS Channels. (Don't know what about the R7500 here)

Is the R7500 an improvement in the meantime? So is it the better one? Or should I still choose the R7000 because of its stability?

Thanks,
testing

Hi,

if you'd have to choose between the R7000 and the R7500, which one would you buy?

As it seems the R7000 seems the more stable and well-engineered device, but the reviews are mostly more than a half year old. Netgear is constantly pushing some firmware updates and things get improved. E.g. the R7000 got ReadyCLOUD support or Certified for CE DFS Channels. (Don't know what about the R7500 here)

Is the R7500 an improvement in the meantime? So is it the better one? Or should I still choose the R7000 because of its stability?

Thanks,
testing
Hi,
May I ask what is your definition of word "better" in your question? I used R7000, I am using R7500 now, not a heavy user with many devices. I don't have any issues personally with R7500 with latest f/w V1.0.0.92. I was using R7000 with Kong's dd-wrt which was good to me. too.

I own the R7000 and while I'm pleased with its hardware, I can't say the same for its firmware. It's stable, yes, but it still has issues (IPv6 ICMP blocking, DHCPv6 server crashing when one of my machines tries to renew its address, wifi sometimes unstable but it could be one of my clients itself). I loaded the XVortex mod of RMerlin's firmware and have currently an uptime of 41 days without a single issue. Never was able to achieve that while on stock firmware

I have the R7000 currently now and apart from some missing functions and one issue the device seems to be very stable. Ok sometimes the internet connection gets lost, but that didn't happened very often. Now I have the chance to get the R7500, but I read that some have issues with the ac wifi network. In all reviews I read the range and speed of the R7500 is below the R7000 (not for all cases but for about 75%).

So with better I mean if there are big differences in speed, stability and range. Normally, the R7500 should be better in every case because its the big brother of the R7000 (more antennas, faster wifi, more and faster ports, better CPU, ...).

@remixedcat:
With R7 you mean the R7000? Because this is the one which has the Broadcom Chipset.

I have the R7000 currently now and apart from some missing functions and one issue the device seems to be very stable. Ok sometimes the internet connection gets lost, but that didn't happened very often. Now I have the chance to get the R7500, but I read that some have issues with the ac wifi network. In all reviews I read the range and speed of the R7500 is below the R7000 (not for all cases but for about 75%).

So with better I mean if there are big differences in speed, stability and range. Normally, the R7500 should be better in every case because its the big brother of the R7000 (more antennas, faster wifi, more and faster ports, better CPU, ...).

@remixedcat:
With R7 you mean the R7000? Because this is the one which has the Broadcom Chipset.

There seems to be R7500 version 1 on the horizon. I have a feeling R7500 is rushed product
becoming an orphan in their product line. If I were you, I'd hang on to R7000 if you don't have
many -ac client.... If you did not try dd-wrt, I suggest you to try it, also Tomato.

I own the R7000 and while I'm pleased with its hardware, I can't say the same for its firmware. It's stable, yes, but it still has issues (IPv6 ICMP blocking, DHCPv6 server crashing when one of my machines tries to renew its address, wifi sometimes unstable but it could be one of my clients itself). I loaded the XVortex mod of RMerlin's firmware and have currently an uptime of 41 days without a single issue. Never was able to achieve that while on stock firmware

Went over to someone's house and tested one a few months ago and the only clients that had issues were realtek based ones like my tablet... but I turned "antenna diversity" on and it helped a lot. You may want to do that.

There seems to be R7500 version 1 on the horizon. I have a feeling R7500 is rushed product
becoming an orphan in their product line. If I were you, I'd hang on to R7000 if you don't have
many -ac client.... If you did not try dd-wrt, I suggest you to try it, also Tomato.

I gave away R7500 today. I went back to my favorite Linksys EA8500.

If the choice is between the R7000 and R7500, I'd pick the R7000 hands down. While I don't personally care for the R7000 stock firmware. There are several good third-party firmware sources, including dd-wrt tomato, and XVortex (RMerlin Asus-wrt on the R7000). Each of these has it's strengths, but all are very capable and are better that the stock firmware in my opinion.

At any rate, the R7000 is a great piece of hardware, stable and mature. Handles all my bandwidth needs, with lots of room for future expansion.

Went over to someone's house and tested one a few months ago and the only clients that had issues were realtek based ones like my tablet... but I turned "antenna diversity" on and it helped a lot. You may want to do that.

No need to do that anymore as I'm on the XVortex fw which works. I'm never going back to stock fw

Can anyone post the PERFORMANCE and stability of current firmware of R7000 1.0.4.30 latest one.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!