What's new

Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Plus or Synology DS212+? Which NAS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

browngeek

New Around Here
Hi, I wonder if I can get help with choosing which NAS device to buy. I've researched, searched and searched a bit more, and now this is what I've come up with.

At present I have an HTPC which as a 1TB hard drive in it. This is, however starting to fill up very quickly. As a result I am looking at buying a NAS box to deal with more data.

In coming to my decision to get a NAS device I did have have a look at other options including building a server or just buying an external eSATA drive and attaching it to my HTPC. I discounted the server option because, frankly, I just don't have enough time to learn about running a server. As for buying an external e-SATA, I think this would be more of a short term solution and I'm looking for something a bit more long term. I am well aware that a NAS box will probably be more expensive than the other two options I've looked into, but from what I understand a NAS box will be easier to set up, which to me is a valuable time benefit.

I would use the NAS box for the following:

- Extra storage
- Running of applications, including: Sabnzbd, Sickbeard, Couch Potato, Logitech media server, Plex Media Server
- Streaming videos to my HTPC
- Possible streaming to other devices

The main usage of the NAS will be for running of applications and streaming to my HTPC. My HTPC is connected to my router with a gigabit LAN. I am not too worried about backup redundancy with the NAS box.

After extensive research on the interwebs I think the following two NAS boxes fit my needs (and budget): the Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Plus and the Synology DS212+. Both are two bay NAS devices, and for my needs that is enough. From the marketing blurb it seems that ReadyNAS is more focused on consumer media, while Synology is more focused on business users. However, I have been reading lots of people use Synology for home media use as well.

On paper the specs for the ReadyNAS are a bit better, it uses a 1.8 GHz dual core Intel Atom processor and has 1GB RAM, while the Synology uses a 2.0 Ghz Marvell Kirkwood CPU (ARM) processor and has 512MB RAM.

The theoretical maximum the ReadyNAS can handle is 6TB (i.e. 2x 3TB drives), while the Synology will be able to handle 8TB (i.e. 2x 4TB drives, when 4TB drives are eventually released).

In terms of the apps I would like to use on the NAS both devices have packages to install Sabnzbd, Sickbeard, Couch Potato and Logitech Media Server. The ReadyNAS also supports Plex Media Server, while Synology does not yet, as at present Plex Media Server does not support ARM processors.

I am aware that with the ReadyNAS I would not be able to transcode media files, but I will mainly be running Plex off my HTPC, so it will be able to handle the files. With Synology, the Plex Media Server would sit on my HTPC, with the media files being pointed to the NAS box. There is presently a beta version of Plex Media Server for ARM processors, but from reading the Synology support forums it is still very buggy.

In terms of using the NAS box I have heard many many people praising Synology for both its interface, ease of use and support. I have not heard so much about ReadyNAS (but at the same time I have not heard any major complaints about ReadyNAS either).

Both the ReadyNAS and the Synology are priced roughly the same price. From what I've researched it seems to come down to the following:

- ReadyNAS has better specs and will work with Plex Media Server
- Synology is very easy to use and great support

Slightly off topic, I know someone who is trying to offload their Synology DS411+II (i.e. last year's Synology's 4 bay model) with 8TB of hard drives (4x 2TB) for about US$900 - US$960. This is a bit out of my budget, but it does come with 8TB of storage and a NAS box that will work with all the applications I want it to, along with a a 1.8 GHz dual core Intel Atom processor and 1GB RAM.

So, which one do I go for?

Any thoughts / suggestions would be very helpful!!!

IMO: buy such a NAS based on features you need or will soon need. Use the on-line demos from Synology/QNAP or others to get a feel.

Then decide if you want RAID or multi-drives each a separate volume. Problem is: RAID is not a backup. It protects from drive failure but not human error (undelete please), theft/fire, etc. A huge NAS is costly to backup - unless you elect to backup only irreplaceable files.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!