What's new

Netgear WAC120 802.11ac Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mediatrek

Regular Contributor
Today the FCC (ID: PY313400246) posted Netgear’s upcoming 802.11ac dual-band access point model WAC120 designed for “high performance for the small office and home office” as described on the datasheet (which has been posted as the current user manual on the FCC's site).

The unit uses the same size case design as the R6100, R6250, R6300v2 routers, except there is no color accent near the bottom of the front of the casing. From the FCC photos it is hard to make out the exact model chips, but I can tell that the 2.4GHz chip is an older Atheros-branded chip (ie- AR9344) and the 5GHz chip is a newer branded Qualcomm-Atheros chip (ie- QCA9882, QCA9892). The WAC120 supports 300Mbps in the 2.4GHz band and 867Mbps in the 5GHz band. Other features include:

• 10/100/1000 Base-T Ethernet port
  • Internal printed 2dBi gain antennas for both bands
  • WDS Point-to-point wireless bridge mode
  • WDS point-to-multipoint bridge mode
  • Bridge mode
  • Mac address filtering
  • 1 BSSID
  • VPN Pass-through
  • Simultaneous bridge/client association
  • >125,000 hours MTBF at 122 degrees Fahrenheit
  • >375,000 hours MBF at 77 degrees Fahrenheit
  • Maximum power consumption of 8.1W
  • 3-year hardware warranty

Has anyone tested this AP already?

What is the closest comparable model it to estimate performance?

Looking at the wac120 manual it appears that there is only one ssid?
Is this common with newer ap/routers?
I used two ssid so far to segregate 5GHz use from 2.4GHz. I would like to keep doing this.

Seems like it is about $100 on amazon.

I'd rather get a full router like the RT-AC56U for that price.

All of the AC based routers from Netgear have an AP mode. It is a simple toggle that configures the router to be an AP. In fact I use an R7000 and an R8000 in this manner. It really couldn't be easier. I believe that this function exists in all the Rxxxx based routers.

The setup for AP mode is located in the Advanced setup area. And again it is a simple toggle.

Bob Silver
Netgear Networking Consultant

The Netgear AC1450 Access Point that is mentioned here is a Costco only product. Basically Netgear to create unique products for its channel partners will build a low volume specific SKU. There are currently no plans to expand distribution of this product per Netgear product management.

Bob Silver

Here are the specs for the AC1450 AP at Costco for those that are interested.

AC1450 is the Costco SKU (3x3 11n + 3x311ac- with only 64bit QAM (typically 256bit QAM for AC- 256bit is an optional feature as per the standard. So 64bit QAm is still AC running at lower speed)) hence the lower speed.

Bob Silver

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!