What's new

NETGEAR WNDR3700v2 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EagleIDEyes

New Around Here
Great review SNB! I have been shopping for a new router and the 3700 V1 vs. V2 debate was a big unknown. This review answered all of my questions.

Except maybe one.

The V2 has a higher flash memory capacity, which, I suppose is an improvement. What do I care, though, if the V1 has plenty of flash capacity already. I understand the V2 could store a larger firmware image or perhaps have a higher log capacity. Are there any other benefits associated with doubling the flash capacity?

BTW: Still trying to decide between the Netgear 3700 and Cisco E4200...

As suspected. Not exactly sure why they would remove antenna segments unless this has something to do with the lawsuit between Rayspan (Netgear's current antenna design firm) and Ruckus wireless (who is suing Netgear and Rayspan over patent infringements).

Ho hum.

Hello, cant wait for e4200 review. In my country there is still quite a lot of 3700v1 on shelves, thinking of buying one instead of v2 if e4200 will turn out bust (as it probably will: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375976,00.asp
My reason for sticking with v1 is
-ntfs read transfer ~11/11 which went down to ~3/12 in v2.
-5ghz radio issues

Btw do you think first issue is only firmware connected? It was fixed in v1 by firmware update afaik.

Last edited:
I'll be disspointed if Cisco come out with yet another lack lustre device...
Seems to have gone that way since they took over, before then Linksys often topped the charts.

Returning Router today

I realize that this may be taken with a grain of salt, given that I haven't registered, but...

I wanted people to notice one VERY IMPORTANT NOTE IN THIS REVIEW: You'll notice that he did not change the firmware in the 3700 v1 router. This is important, because Netgear is having difficulty releasing firmware THAT ACTUALLY WORKS.

This router, out of the box with the 1.0.0.6 (or if you're REALLY unlucky, the 6.98 version) of the firmware has some critical flaws that a reviewer might not notice.

The chief errors are:
1. Disconnects when using any connection oriented service, such as games or skype. Disconnects are registered as "DoS attacks" in the logs.
2. Wireless issues, including slowdown and random disconnects over long periods of use.
3. DNLA issues, including slow response, and again, disconnects.

The problem with the v2 router IS THAT YOU CAN'T ROLL BACK TO FIRMWARE THAT ACTUALLY WORKS. The reviewer here is using one of the better 3700 firmwares, and people in the Netgear forums seem to agree that you really must fix the firmware to make this router usable.

It's truly unfortunate, but I feel that I must recommend people stay AWAY from this router. As usual, Netgear's products have critical flaws (like a gaming router that thinks games are attacks!) -

I cannot recommend this router to anyone until the firmware is fixed. DO NOT BUY.

wndr3700v2 vs Linksys e4200

I've been looking for a new router for a while. Tried a number in the past but none worked right. I just tried them both the netgear wndr3700v2 and the Linksys 4200. Hands down the wndr3700v2 beats the Linksys. As soon as I plugged in the Linksys I experienced drop-outs - the drop outs I experienced are related to my existing N devices being Draft 1.x. (similar failures to what I've experienced with other N routers).

The netgear in the meantime supports my Draft N devices without a hickup. In addition the signal strength on the netgear is higher than the Linksys (not by a lot 2-3 bars on the netgear and 2 bars on the linksys - for my hardest to support place in the house - connection speed on the linksys 54.... and on the netgear 54-108. Lastly the netgear has some ip6 support which is important from a foward looking prespective.

Pro for the cisco. The WEB configuration interface is a lot snapper and I prefer thier guest network implemenation which is more like one sees in a hotel.

Firmware?

IMHO the firmware story is completely irrelevant. This router (I have a v1) is not meant for firmware. No serial cable needed, no risk for bricking, 8Mb flash, decent CPU, USB2.0: the perfect router to run Openwrt.

Some decent data like in the review on the performance with Openwrt would be nice... word is the 5Ghz is a bit slower. But the full control and the fact it's working makes reflashing this device a no-brainer.

In fact, the 16Mb in the v2 is even better and let's you install even more packages on the router if you don't want to attach storage.

Guest Network in Access Point mode

I purchased two of these v1 routers thinking I could have a large guest network, that blocked access to my local LAN. Unfortuantely, it turns out that the router set-up as an access point can't block access to my local LAN without also blocking access to the internet as well.

I assume the v2 router is now different?

Can anyone suggest an access point device that might work for me?

Thanks

Is there any improvement on the wireless part with these new @ 2011 devices?
When you say WNDR3700v2 have decreased in 5GHz performance I can't do nothing than bang my head against the wall.

Currently I've been so lucky that D-Link has borrowed me one D-Link DAP-2553 Access Points which I use for my 5GHz network and it has been the best 5GHz experience I've had thus far. Even though it's not 2.4GHz range yet, it's not lacking like the WRT610N / E3000, WNDR3700v1 etc.. does (own experience).

But still the DAP-2553 isn't quite there yet when it comes to streaming Blu-Ray rips over wireless when facing distances longer than a few meters, so I'm hoping for even better wireless performance and stability with these new models popping up in 2011, but I guess DAP-2553 is still as good as it gets?

I have seen no indication that wireless performance will be significantly improved in the new crop of N routers introduced at CES, especially in the 5 GHz band.

Reliable wireless streaming of Blu-ray rips just isn't on the radar screen. Either transcode to a lower-bandwidth format, use a player with a big intelligent buffer or local hard drive, like this one or run Ethernet.

Does the NETGEAR WNDR37AV have the V1 or V2 build, anyone tried one yet.

I want to get the NETGEAR WNDR3800 but do not want to wait or be on that V1.0 early adopter unwilling beta tester guinea pig train, lol.

I see the AV on Ebail for about $20 more than the 3700, might just bite.

Any suggestions?

I realize that this may be taken with a grain of salt, given that I haven't registered, but...

Sorry to hijack things here too ... but what this person says is completely true. BBC2, COD BO ... just drop after a few minutes.. port forwarding as well... open DMZ ... you name it ... drops drops drops... modem to PC ... works fine ... I say stay away if you are looking for a GAMING router... internet, wireless casual downloading okay ...

Dropped the hammer, 3700 on its way along with a 8 port gig switch, new gig nics arrived today.

The box with the Red Graphic shown in the review doesn't necessarily mean it's a v2.

I just bought a WNDR3700 today in a box like the one pictured; The firmware is set to 1.0.4.68NA which seems to mean it's a v1. Also, I don't have IPv6 as option. I kinda wanted that.

Also, missing from the otherwise excellent review, is the fact that remote management goes over HTTP rather than HTTPS. There seems to be no way to configure it for HTTPS unlike Linksys. But, so far, my experience in migrating from a WRT54G has been good and it definitely has improved my network.

But the lack of HTTPS management port is why I may end up taking it back.

I wanted people to notice one VERY IMPORTANT NOTE IN THIS REVIEW: You'll notice that he did not change the firmware in the 3700 v1 router. This is important, because Netgear is having difficulty releasing firmware THAT ACTUALLY WORKS.

This router, out of the box with the 1.0.0.6 (or if you're REALLY unlucky, the 6.98 version) of the firmware has some critical flaws that a reviewer might not notice.

The chief errors are:
1. Disconnects when using any connection oriented service, such as games or skype. Disconnects are registered as "DoS attacks" in the logs.
2. Wireless issues, including slowdown and random disconnects over long periods of use.
3. DNLA issues, including slow response, and again, disconnects.

The problem with the v2 router IS THAT YOU CAN'T ROLL BACK TO FIRMWARE THAT ACTUALLY WORKS. The reviewer here is using one of the better 3700 firmwares, and people in the Netgear forums seem to agree that you really must fix the firmware to make this router usable.

It's truly unfortunate, but I feel that I must recommend people stay AWAY from this router. As usual, Netgear's products have critical flaws (like a gaming router that thinks games are attacks!) -

I cannot recommend this router to anyone until the firmware is fixed. DO NOT BUY.

I just want to echo this comment (esp. point #1). I have been trying for days to figure out why Skype is dropping calls. Likewise, I've been having issues with Outlook connecting to a remote Exchange service, along with a few other strange issues not seeing in other routers I've been testing.

After seeing this post, I checked logs and sure enough... DoS attacks.

In addition to the problems with the services mentioned above, I also had problems with an IP phone that would not pull DHCP. No problems on other routers, no problems when I set the IP phone w/ a static IP... but the 3700v2 simply would not assign an address to this device.

Don't buy this Router if you use Samsung Cell Phone Network Extenders!

Just took the WNDR3700v2 back to Fry's today. After two weeks of using this, I couldn't figure out why my Samsung (Verizon) Network Extender wouldn't connect anylonger. After numerous calls to Netgear, I had to get Verizon to help work through what was going on (wow, does Verizon have GREAT Customer Service!). After learning from Verizon that all customers with WNDR3700's are having the same issue, I called Netgear back. They told me that even though I was running what appeared to be the latest firmware (v1.0.0.6), to re-download the latest copy from their website and reflash the firmware. If that doesn't work, then they suggested I take the machine back and get a WNDR3400!!!! I did the reflash and guess what? I returned the unit today. Too bad, because everything else about it was terrific. Easy to install and configure. Having 3 networks (2.4GHz, 5GHz, plus a guest network) was great and a snap to setup. Performance was good, not great like I'd hoped, but adaquate. If you're not using a Network Extender...go for it...you'll likely be very happy with this device.

New 1.0.0.8 firmware has been posted. Fixes include:

• Fixed “Some IA appliances can’t get IP address issues like LG BluRay player, Samsung DVD player, Sony TV, and Samsung TV.”
  • Fixed “Application disconnection issue in every 5~10 minutes like Google talk, Battlefield, Starcraft, mIRC, AIM, ooVoo, etc.”
  • Fixed “Web page loading slow issue.”
  • Fixed “DHCP reservation issue, change IP address of one device in the reservation table and the device is changed to new IP, but the attached device list still displays old IP.”

Jumbo frames were never officially supported. So it's certainly NETGEAR's option to disable them.

Tim

I know you said you were going to leave it alone at this point, but how about testing the replacement V2 unit with the original firmware? Maybe the changes in performance are all software related?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!