What's new

Netgear XAVB5501

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ablevy

Occasional Visitor
Has anyone tried the new XAVB5501 from Netgear? I'm considering uprading my old XAV 101.

Thanks

Alan

I just ordered the Trendnet version from Newegg. It's available on a few sites, including trendnet's web-site. We'll have to see how it works...

The TRENDnet is on the way in for review. No word from NETGEAR on their 500 Mbps powerline products' availability. Last I was told, they were delayed to this month (December).

? on the trendnet, if the room you put the extra node in has more then one computer to hook up , do you just throw a gigabit switch/hub on it and hook the computers into that?

thx
Vinman

For any bridge type adapter (Moca, HomePlug) you can add a switch to expand ports.

For powerline IP transceivers, I'm wondering how well they work were the pair is not on the same power phase (as in US residential). If no 220VAC appliance is "on", the signal has no natural path from phase A to phase B. This has bedeviled X10 (at just 100KHz carrier) for years. Powerline IP is OFDM at very high frequencies - so "bleeding" across phases might be easier than X10's 100KHz, but the crossing does attenuate greatly, leading perhaps to a reduced data rate. Use of a phase bridge was/is common with X10. At these HPNA type frequencies, higher, I wonder what the bridging need is.

Again, some 220VAC appliances like a dryer or range will bridge if on.

Looking in your breaker box will show which breaker is on which phase. And hopefully you have a map of which breaker goes to which room's outlets.

For powerline IP transceivers, I'm wondering how well they work were the pair is not on the same power phase (as in US residential).
First generation powerline chipsets could not work well between phases. But current generation (HomePlug AV) products have no problem. They'll work with both conducted and radiated, i.e. coupled signals.

So I bought the Netgear and I am currently playing with them.

I am using them in a sub-sub optimal configuration. The network crosses three rooms with dishwashers, computer etc... And also an existing Homeplug AV 200 Pair and I get these results with IPerf / DIrect Copy in OSX : 70 Mbps ( +- 5 mbps ) and I can stream 1080 to my WDTV Live. I am going to further test them

First generation powerline chipsets could not work well between phases. But current generation (HomePlug AV) products have no problem. They'll work with both conducted and radiated, i.e. coupled signals.
??? I still don't get how these pass a high quality signal between the phases without a coupler added to the breaker box (as we had to do for X10). What does the term "Radiated" mean in the context of IP on power line? The principle is OFDM signals imposed on the power line, at something like 800MHz. The signal isn't going to "hop" between phases through the air!

??? I still don't get how these pass a high quality signal between the phases without a coupler added to the breaker box (as we had to do for X10). What does the term "Radiated" mean in the context of IP on power line? The principle is OFDM signals imposed on the power line, at something like 800MHz. The signal isn't going to "hop" between phases through the air!
The receive circuitry is apparently sensitive enough to pick coupled signals from the field. Don't take my word for it. Go get a pair and try for yourself.

Tim

Is there any difference in performance between a 220 V and a 120 V installation , as far as powerline goes ? Thanks.

The receive circuitry is apparently sensitive enough to pick coupled signals from the field. Don't take my word for it. Go get a pair and try for yourself.
I'll assume the coupling is from 800MHz paths created in appliances or some such. Seems, though, that the coupled signal would be substantially weaker, leading to lower speeds and/or higher error rates.

But in the US homes, some 220V appliance might couple the signal at low impedance, if "on".

Is there any difference in performance between a 220 V and a 120 V installation , as far as powerline goes ? Thanks.
I can't speak from experience since I'm in the US. But there shouldn't be a general difference.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online