What's new

Network for Camper

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bob Iadicicco

New Around Here
I was looking at a D-LINK DIR-815 to put in the 5th wheel camper I purchased.

The purpose for this is to have my work laptop connect to it and my gf/kids devices already configured to connect to it.

I was looking at connecting the WAN port to a D-LINK DAP-1555 to allow connection to WI-FI points at home/camp grounds/truck stops/...

I was also planning on bringing my NAS with me and hooking it to the DIR-815 for music/movies/...

Then my mind started to wander and I was thinking about putting a security camera DVR in for the backup and side cameras, hook that to the DIR-815, and access it in the truck while driving through a tablet.

I attached a Network Diagram of what I am trying to do.

My questions are:
1. Will the set up with the DIR-815 and DAP-155 work.

2. Is there a way to access the DAP-155 through the DIR-815 network to configure it when connecting to a new network?

3. Is attaching 2 "JEFA Tech 7dBi Micro Mag Mount Antenna for WiFi 802.11b/g/n - RP-SMA Male Connector" or similar antennas on the outside of the camper to the DAP-1555 a good idea.

Attachments

• 5th Wheel Network.pdf
    175.4 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Your internet bandwidth is going to be pretty limited by those campground connections. So don't get your hopes up.

Consider an outdoor bridge like an Engenius ENS-200 or one of their newer ones instead of the DAP-1522. Weatherproof and higher gain than the D-Link.

Good article on the ENS-200. The only drawback I see with it is the directional antenna, which I would have to adjust at each stop and not mount it permanently. It would also make it more difficult if I wanted to connect to my Hotspot. Although that may not be a drawback if the connection is better.

I am assuming I would set it up in Client Bridge mode.

Do you see any other drawbacks to what I am thinking?

Thanx, Bob

The bridge is to connect to the Internet only. You don't use it to connect to your LAN.

The higher gain antenna should help you get a more stable and higher bandwidth signal. Stick the bridge on a pole mount, then just swivel it in the direction of the campground wireless or wherever you get a better signal.

You would use client bridge since you are supplying your own router behind it.

For what you want to do, their suggestions are probably best. No you can't really perm mount it, but it should be an easy 1-2 minute setup where ever you end up planting your camper to connect to to the wireless of the campground. Then connect it back to whatever router/AP you want to use to provide a WLAN for your campground/vehicle.

I'd set the router in a low power mode since you probably only need/want coverage over a 20-30ft radius.

So I went with the D-LINK DIR-815 for the router and the EnGenius ENS202 for the Bridge. The only issue I am having is that the Bridge needs a static IP address on the Wi-Fi network that it is being connected to. This is very difficult, if not impossible, with public Wi-Fi providers. Once connected, it is amazing, but getting to that point is very problematic.

Does anyone know of a AP/Bridge that does not require a static IP? I have come to like the Directional Antenna and would like to stick with it.

Do they make directional Antennas that would connect to a sma port of a standard router or AP/Bridge?

Thanx, Bob

So I went with the D-LINK DIR-815 for the router and the EnGenius ENS202 for the Bridge. The only issue I am having is that the Bridge needs a static IP address on the Wi-Fi network that it is being connected to. This is very difficult, if not impossible, with public Wi-Fi providers. Once connected, it is amazing, but getting to that point is very problematic.

Does anyone know of a AP/Bridge that does not require a static IP? I have come to like the Directional Antenna and would like to stick with it.

Do they make directional Antennas that would connect to a sma port of a standard router or AP/Bridge?

Thanx, Bob

That surprises me about the EnGenius. I Don't know much about those products but it surprises me that it has to have static. I use Ubiquiti products. You could try a Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2 for your client bridge. It can use DHCP or static.

I was looking at a D-LINK DIR-815 to put in the 5th wheel camper I purchased.

The purpose for this is to have my work laptop connect to it and my gf/kids devices already configured to connect to it.

I was looking at connecting the WAN port to a D-LINK DAP-1555 to allow connection to WI-FI points at home/camp grounds/truck stops/...

I was also planning on bringing my NAS with me and hooking it to the DIR-815 for music/movies/...

Then my mind started to wander and I was thinking about putting a security camera DVR in for the backup and side cameras, hook that to the DIR-815, and access it in the truck while driving through a tablet.

I attached a Network Diagram of what I am trying to do.

My questions are:
1. Will the set up with the DIR-815 and DAP-155 work.

2. Is there a way to access the DAP-155 through the DIR-815 network to configure it when connecting to a new network?

3. Is attaching 2 "JEFA Tech 7dBi Micro Mag Mount Antenna for WiFi 802.11b/g/n - RP-SMA Male Connector" or similar antennas on the outside of the camper to the DAP-1555 a good idea.

Many years ago when I was wee lad, I was trying to monitor the rear of a vehicle whilst driving. The end result was a broken axle. Apparently I was monitoring the rear of the vehicle too long and missed a curve. No injuries (other than the broken axle injury). Be careful. ;)

That surprises me about the EnGenius. I Don't know much about those products but it surprises me that it has to have static. I use Ubiquiti products. You could try a Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2 for your client bridge. It can use DHCP or static.

Bridges and routers have an admin interface, usually via a web server. This IP address needs to be known so you can connect/admin. That IP as nothing to do with routing or bridging. If you let it go to DHCP, you'll not know.

Bridges and routers have an admin interface, usually via a web server. This IP address needs to be known so you can connect/admin. That IP as nothing to do with routing or bridging. If you let it go to DHCP, you'll not know.

Oh I agree, on the LAN side (or private side). He is saying that the EnGenius needs a static IP on the side where it is connecting to a public Wifi.

Are you sure you are using the correct method to connect? I haven't used the Engeniuses, but I'd think if you were setting up in client bridge mode, that it should do DHCP just fine.

The issue is that you need a static IP on the Wi-Fi side, which in turns allows a DHCP address from the Wi-Fi to be issued on the down stream side. If I set it to DHCP to connect to the Wi-Fi, I can no longer connect to the admin screen to choose the Wi-Fi as I do not know what the address is.

Very round and round...

Does Engenius have a management application? I'd imagine it could autodetect the IP of the bridge.

Also, does it default to a specific IP address upon start-up if in DHCP mode and not connected to anything? I would think it would.

No management application, just the web page.

Engenius support stated that if I set it to DHCP, the only way to get it back would be a hard reset. In the mean time, I would not be able to connect to it because I would not have the IP address.

Wi-Fi issues DHCP address, which in turn issues a DHCP address to the router. Now I do not know what the IP is for the AP...

The issue is that you need a static IP on the Wi-Fi side, which in turns allows a DHCP address from the Wi-Fi to be issued on the down stream side. If I set it to DHCP to connect to the Wi-Fi, I can no longer connect to the admin screen to choose the Wi-Fi as I do not know what the address is.

Very round and round...

On the Ubiquiti Nanostation you can choose what side is local and what side is WAN (either the wireless or the port), and it allows you to always manage from the local side. Does EnGenius have something like that? Different modes?

The EnGenius only has 1 IP address, so you need to know it to manage it...

I am looking at the Ubiquiti Nanostations now, what one would you recommend?

I need to be able to connect to a Wi-Fi network using DHCP and set the security up for it. The LAN side would be connected to my router WAN port. In some cases, I would need to log in to a web page to activate the connection.

Does the Engenius have a captive portal by any chance? I know some wireless bridges/client bridges/range extenders (with client bridge mode) have captive portals. Both for initial setup (where, yeah, you'd have to do a hard reset to get it back in to that mode everytime you connect to a new network, which is annoying), but also if you type in the URL of the management page while connected through it.

For example, using my TP-Link WA850RE in client bridge mode hardwired or connected to it as a range extender, if I type in http://tplinkextender.net (I think that is the one), it'll take me to the management page of the range extender without having to know what the actual IP address is for it (though I have to be connected through it, if I am connected to something else on my network, it goes out to the wider internet trying to look for the page).

I know that doesn't solve the Engenius problem is there isn't a URL/captive management page like that, but maybe there is?

Hmmm, just checked the quick start guide for it, doesn't look like the ENS202 has a captive management page URL. Might have to be a hard reset each time for setup. Or...any chance it has/does UPnP/shows up in your network map (assuming Windows use here) and you can click on it to go to it...without knowing the IP?