What's new

Entware Network packet capture with Tshark

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

deveals

Occasional Visitor
Hello and good day! I've installed Wireshark and use tshark on the command line to capture network packets. Tshark ran for several months capturing packets but now hangs:
Code:
tshark -z
Running as user "xxxxx" and group "root". This could be dangerous.
Code:
tshark -Nnm -t ad -c 1 -i br0 -i eth0 -T fields -e frame.number -e _ws.col.Time -e frame.interface_name -e frame.protocols -e frame.len
Running as user "xxxxx" and group "root". This could be dangerous.

All tshark commands stop at this same location. So for I've tried restart, remove/reinstall Wireshark (tshark is included in Wireshark), and system reset to factory default/reinstall. I haven't upgraded firmware within 30 day nor changed router settings. General web search suggests Wireshark/tshark permission issue but I'm unsure if permissions issue because tshark commands previously worked for several months.

Has anyone seen this type of issue or can provide suggestions how to correct?

Sorry, I can't help with your issue (other than to suggest a full reset). You are running stock firmware? How did you install Wireshark/tshark?

Hi Justinh. Review and consideration appreciated. Yes, very odd for Tshark to stop operating after running for serveral months.

I'm running Merlin and installed the Entware version of Wireshark. I'll keep checking for an overlooked Wireshark/Tshark config or log setting. Thanks. Danny.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!