What's new

Networking My Bunker

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shamrok

New Around Here
Okay, not really a bunker, but might as well be one. I just moved to Germany and the all-stone construction absolutely eats up WiFi signals. My situation is as follows:

Basement:
- Speedport DSL modem/router combo - looking to remove and replace with a basic DSL modem and let a separate router take over. I also want to run VPN software on the router so I can access Netflix, Pandora, etc from any device.
- MacPro
- Netflix-equipped BluRay player

Main Level
- HTPC
- NAS
- PS3
- No switch here yet for all these to talk to each other or the network

Top Floor
- Various iPads, iPhones, MacBook, etc - also used through all three levels

I already have an unused router (Netgear WNDR3700v1) that I think will work fine for the basement, but it depends on what else I need for everywhere else, which is where my question comes in...what is the best way to network all this together?

Right now, a wireless signal from the basement (the Speedport and the Netgear, no real difference) will not reach my top floor and is a pretty weak signal on the main floor. I am unable to run ethernet cable between floors.

I would like to keep this as simple and reliable as possible, as I go out of town for extended periods of time and want to keep the wife happy while away.

So, what all do I need? Am I looking at a combination of powerline adapters, wifi extenders, access points, etc.? Or something simpler?

I apologize for the long first post, and possibly delayed replies, my internet at the moment is spotty at best. After fiddling with stopgap crap for awhile now, I'm about ready to start from scratch; so please, help spend my money! :)

Get an Ethernet cable between floors if you can. Even if you have to run it outside a window.

If that's not acceptable/possible, powerline is your next best bet.

You will just get frustrated trying to get wireless to work.

If there is coaxial cable installed then consider MoCA. It can have better performance than Powerline plugs and as easy to use. Make sure it is compatible your cable TV provider's equipment (if you have cable TV).

Last edited:
I find this a little confusing, I didn't know that MoCA could be used with DSL, but maybe so. The MoCA adapters that I have only talk about cable broadband. There is one mention of "DSL broadband", though, which I hadn't heard of before.

But if you can use MoCA, it really works well.

A pair of MoCA devices, connected to one another, will bridge two pieces of cat5 cable together (layer 2 bridge). Typically one end connects to a router and the other end connects to a networkable thing needing router connectivity.
The thing can be a PC, a switch with "things" plugged into it, media players, TVs with a LAN connection, etc.

So in terms of DSL - the DSL modem connects to (or is integrated with) a router. The router connects as above, to get the LAN to some room via existing TV coax, where running cat5 is not viable and WiFi isn't desired and/or feasible.

Last edited:
Yes, I see your point, I may get a chance to test this at some point. My broadband cable ISP isn't doing very well at the moment. Most of the time my internet download speed isn't anywhere near what they tell me I'm paying for, although during some parts of the day sometimes, the speed looks better. And they won't talk about when they'll have infrastructure improvements in place that will provide the speed they purport to have, so I'm currently looking for alternatives.

Cable modem available? (DOCSIS)?

re current DSL: all the DSL filters in place correctly?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!