What's new

Networking Newbie Need Enlightenment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oso

New Around Here
Hello. New to setting up a network in my home as my kids are getting older and need laptops along with their other devices to be online, not to mention security cams that I'd like to view remotely. I signed up for a static ip service with my internet provider and noticed that I can actually have 3 static IP addresses. My question is how does that work? I've always just had DHCP with a Internet provider issued modem/router and a computer and 2 iPads connected to it, but would love to utilize the multiple static ip function to separate the security cams and such. Would I need multiple modems and routers? I tried asking the internet provider tech support but was directed to someone who was overseas with a thick accent and all the info I got was I can assign the multiple devices to the static ip's. What stumped me was when I asked if I used multiple routers and set the modem into pass through mode (and if that is the proper way to set such a thing up), I was told no. If that is the case, what is the point of have a multiple static ip account? Or is it more as a backup inter connectivity thing? If that is the case, because the ip's are running of 1 modem wouldn't all internet connectivity fail if there is a provider blackout? Any info to help me understand how multiple static IP's works would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

it means you can assign 3 IP address for example 1 to your router and 2 to your servers. It is not necessary to have static IP because you can use a DDNS service which is free. Using multiple static IPs and doing NAT at the same time requires a router that can configure that so either get 3rd party firmware like openwrt or you would need a router like ubiquiti, mikrotik, cisco, juniper and the like.

it means you can assign 3 IP address for example 1 to your router and 2 to your servers. It is not necessary to have static IP because you can use a DDNS service which is free. Using multiple static IPs and doing NAT at the same time requires a router that can configure that so either get 3rd party firmware like openwrt or you would need a router like ubiquiti, mikrotik, cisco, juniper and the like.

Thanks for the reply! What sort of specs for the routers would I need to look for? Would I need to look for the "NAT" word? Sorry, I am not very familiar with any networking terminology beyond static ip and dhcp. I had to look up what NAT meant. Thanks!

There are a few ways you can set it up but you can set it up in 2 ways.
Either give 2 servers public IP and home network with 1 public IP. NAT stands for network address translation which lets users with a LAN IP browse the internet. In This case you will need to set up a route between the IPs so that you can access the server locally but you lose layer 2 access to them incase you want to use DLNA and other layer 2 stuff.
Another way is to have the router have all 3 public IP addresses but have different NAT rules in which you perform DMZ/1-2-1 NAT for your servers through the IP addresses and you NAT the rest normally with 1 of the public ip addresses.

You can use openwrt on your router or get a ubiquiti edgerouter X or edgerouter pro or mikrotik routers or even an enterprise router. Just avoid cisco RV or similar routers and you will be fine.
Your choice of router depends on how much internet bandwidth you have and if you need to use VPN with it.

This would be much easier and cheaper to just use DDNS instead of asking for static IPs since all you would need is either VPN or port forwarding and to assign the domain to your router.

There are a few ways you can set it up but you can set it up in 2 ways.
Either give 2 servers public IP and home network with 1 public IP. NAT stands for network address translation which lets users with a LAN IP browse the internet. In This case you will need to set up a route between the IPs so that you can access the server locally but you lose layer 2 access to them incase you want to use DLNA and other layer 2 stuff.
Another way is to have the router have all 3 public IP addresses but have different NAT rules in which you perform DMZ/1-2-1 NAT for your servers through the IP addresses and you NAT the rest normally with 1 of the public ip addresses.

You can use openwrt on your router or get a ubiquiti edgerouter X or edgerouter pro or mikrotik routers or even an enterprise router. Just avoid cisco RV or similar routers and you will be fine.
Your choice of router depends on how much internet bandwidth you have and if you need to use VPN with it.

This would be much easier and cheaper to just use DDNS instead of asking for static IPs since all you would need is either VPN or port forwarding and to assign the domain to your router.

Thanks! I have some homework to do. Thanks for the DDNS info. I have heard of it before and don't know why I didn't think of it when I signed up for the static IP. Thanks again!

To be honest with you..step back and rethink this.
A common broadband router running in gateway mode (which is what you usually have for residential)..runs NAT, and takes a single public IP address (typically from your ISP) and shares it to up to 253 devices inside. So you can have 253 devices in your network...ipads, cameras, computers, DVRs, NVRs, servers, whatever.

You generally do "not" want to give important devices like computers...a public IP address. NAT is a basic 1-way firewall..protecting a device on the safe side, from unwanted traffic from the outside. You don't want to assign a Windows computer a public IP address...unless you enjoy formatting and reinstalling the OS on a daily basis because it gets hacked into every 30 seconds.

So.."Why do you want a second..or even a third...public IP address from your ISP?"
Viewing security cameras, you can have lots of security cameras, they report to a DVR or NVR..which as a single IP address, and that is private (like 192.168.1.10)...and you port forward to that through the NAT of your firewall with a single IP address..forwarding the ports necessary to view the DVR from the outside world or from your smart phone app. You don't need another IP address just to view a DVR.

Multiple IP addresses do not increase your internet connection reliability..it's nothing like redundancy. If the ISP is down..it's down...doesn't matter how many IPs you have.

Typically we have our larger business clients networks on multiple IP address...full static blocks...because they have many different services they need available from the public side...and port forwarding to tons of different servers can start overlapping..and just needs additional public IPs. But don't forget..usually additional static IPs cost more money per month. I can't see a home user exceeding the capabilities of a single public IP address.

To be honest with you..step back and rethink this.
A common broadband router running in gateway mode (which is what you usually have for residential)..runs NAT, and takes a single public IP address (typically from your ISP) and shares it to up to 253 devices inside. So you can have 253 devices in your network...ipads, cameras, computers, DVRs, NVRs, servers, whatever.

You generally do "not" want to give important devices like computers...a public IP address. NAT is a basic 1-way firewall..protecting a device on the safe side, from unwanted traffic from the outside. You don't want to assign a Windows computer a public IP address...unless you enjoy formatting and reinstalling the OS on a daily basis because it gets hacked into every 30 seconds.

So.."Why do you want a second..or even a third...public IP address from your ISP?"
Viewing security cameras, you can have lots of security cameras, they report to a DVR or NVR..which as a single IP address, and that is private (like 192.168.1.10)...and you port forward to that through the NAT of your firewall with a single IP address..forwarding the ports necessary to view the DVR from the outside world or from your smart phone app. You don't need another IP address just to view a DVR.

Multiple IP addresses do not increase your internet connection reliability..it's nothing like redundancy. If the ISP is down..it's down...doesn't matter how many IPs you have.

Typically we have our larger business clients networks on multiple IP address...full static blocks...because they have many different services they need available from the public side...and port forwarding to tons of different servers can start overlapping..and just needs additional public IPs. But don't forget..usually additional static IPs cost more money per month. I can't see a home user exceeding the capabilities of a single public IP address.

Thanks for the input! Definitely food for thought. Very true on the public IPs. I had not thought about that. Guess I mistaken in thinking multiple static IPs would mean less configurations, but it seems to be exactly the opposite.